Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Should I......

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dj2nvHome userMember since 2004
Hey all, i have a quick question i wanna pose...
OK my current system is as follows
PII 350Mhz
192Mb Ram
6gig shitty Fujitsu drive
SCSI Hard Drive and Burner:)
VOODOO II 12mb
SB Live Value (is it a 1024 a 512 or wat?)
Windows ME
Registered Atomix V2.0

Now to the difficult part of the post..
should I???? hrmmmm
swap my 64meg stick of ram for anotha 128mb stick so i will have 256megs ram..
should i upgrade to a PIII450 (its all i can get my hands on at da moment..)
should i install windows 2000 Professional or go back 2 win 98?
from my recollection there are no decent drivers for voodooII's for win2000..... wat upgrades are worthwhile????
:S I myself am not quite sure....

.::DJ2nV::.

Posted Sun 23 Dec 01 @ 7:08 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would upgrade the CPU. With 450MHz/196MB RAM, you can run AtomixMP3 better than with 350/256! If you then speed up your bus to 112MHz, your CPU runs with almost 500MHz. That´s enough. :-)

For the latest drivers for W2k, take a look at http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=0. Normally, W2k should know this card automatically! I had an old 8MB graphics card installed, and W2k found it without any probs.

Posted Sun 23 Dec 01 @ 10:57 am
But why you have post this question?Your atomix mp3 works slowly?
Because my system is this:
K6 2 373 (112 * 3,5)
128 mb ram (soon upgraded to 312 mb)
8 gb Fujitsu hard drive (7200 rpm)
Voodoo banshee 16 meg
SbLive! Value (I don't think is a 1024,if not why Creative has create the "sound blaster player 1024?)
Win 2k
Direct x 8.1
And Atomix mp3!!

I use my computer for parties every saturday night,from 21 to 6!! I have never had any problem...Atomix mp3 works fine on my computer...

My counsil is to install Win 2k, because win 2k is more stable than win me and win 2k works using the system ram,and with win 2k i don't think you need a driver, because win 2k have a lot of drivers, and I think which your video card is in win 2k hardware...
Install direct x 8.1 (www.microsoft.com/directx)
and run often microsoft defrag,which reorder your files on your hdd, for speed up your system...
I hope I helped you...

Posted Sun 23 Dec 01 @ 1:37 pm
how can i increase the speed of my fsb (its currently 100mhz)????
i will prob do a dual boot with win2k and see if its happy.. i have already tried usin it before and i couldnt get drivers for da voodoo but since, i have found suitable drivers... i will also need win2k drivers for my SB Live (i was very disapointed that it wasnt supported in win2k)
bye the way my motherboard is a "M747" by a company called PC100 (it sounds weird but it IS their name)

thanx, u guyz have helped a lot....

Posted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 12:56 am
for increase your speed bus, you must to see the motherboard' s manual,there are some jumpers to set(depends of your motherboard...) and the multiplier, to have your cpu speed, but it's hard to make this...There are some parameters to configure: ram's clock, agp's clock, if your hdd supports over 100 mhz...You could to overclock,but you MUST sure to do this...I'm not responsable to an eventual motherboard (or cpu)crash... If u want some info, tell me...

Posted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 10:59 am

Posted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 11:08 am
I'm forgot...For your audio card, it's impossible which win 2k doesn't find your audio card...I have the same audio card, and my win 2k find it...If not,you should to download the SBLiveXPDrvUpdate.exe file (about 10 meg...),which contents drivers, programs,environmental audio (for voice effects...),and many more, all for win 2k and win xp... www.soundblaster.com/drivers

Posted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 11:08 am
i will see...
its a pain in the ass to format one partition of my drive, but hey i have 6 weeks holidayz, i got time to fiddle :)

hrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm my motherboard isnt supported in softfsb, and i dunno where to find any info about its "PLL IC" config etc etc etc... could someone plz help?
my motherboard is made by "PC CHIPS" and is a "PC100 M747"

thanx

Posted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 8:05 pm
Simply try all settings. Your puter will freeze sometimes, but on my system, that doesn´t make any problems, except booting every 5 min. until I found the right one! :-)

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 12:06 am
RUN WINDOWS 2000 !!!!!

Win 2k makes the best possible use of system resources!!!!

For running atomix....you don't need a fast computer. What you have is fine as long as you are not running many programs at once and don't have alot of crap on your computer.

I am running a PII 233 MHz 220 MB RAM and a 2 MB video card....and atomix runs perfect (as long as it is in hardware mode).

I went from ME to 2K and noticed an AMAZING difference.

You are not going to notice much difference between 192 Megs and 256 Megs....but that would not be a risky upgrade since RAM is incredibly cheap these days.

You are probably best off with a PIII 450.

Hope this is of help to you!
Merry Xmas

Cheers. DVP

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 2:31 am
ok.. i will put win2k on, but arghhhhhhhhhh i have to make a NTFS partition.... grrrrrrrrrrrrr that pisses me off

I will prob buy the PIII 450 as well, mama why wouldn't i just make the multiplying frequency higher, rather then the FSB? is it more stable to change the FSB?

thanx all,

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 6:30 am
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You dont have to convert to NTFS to use win2000.. FAT32 is fine and will run ok but NTFS is better thats all !!

Merry Xmas !!!

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 10:14 am
yea i know i can run fat32 howeva NTFS is betta (i had it 4 a whiile) i will prob format my OS's partition (muhahahaha that was a logical thing to do wasnt it??? :)) no loss of MP3's yet i can format my os!! woooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 10:26 am
Ok, but you can format in fat 32,there's little changes from ntfs...I have installed win 2k in fat 32 hdd and atomix works good...
Merry xms and happy new year!!!

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 12:34 pm
If you speed up your FSB, your whole system runs faster. On some old boards, you can´t change the multiplier, so it is the only possibility to speed it up.

Posted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 7:28 pm
should i just then change the voltage from 4.5V (4.5 * 100 = 450) to 5V (5 * 100 = 500)???

this whole FSB thingy is confusin, and couldn't it stuff ur ram etc if it isnt pc133 ram??

thanx, merry christmas

Posted Wed 26 Dec 01 @ 12:07 am
wickedHome userMember since 2001
windows 2000 is awful cause it takes 1½ to 2 minutes to boot it.. xp is better if you get it working without problem (not many does get it working of my friends) and boots in 30 second.

Posted Wed 26 Dec 01 @ 8:11 am
I wouldn't recommend increasing the voltage to your CPU, it will run very hot and it will stress the components on the IC. You'd reduce it's life if not burn it out completely.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 01 @ 1:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)