Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What SoundCard should i buy?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I want to be able to mix using both by speakers and my headphones while mixing, but my current soundcard (a SoundBlaster Live Value) won't let me.

So, I'm going to buy a new soundcard, but I don't know what to get. I'm on a tight budget, but I was thinking about the SoundBlaster Audigy. Would this one be ok? CAn you reccommend anything that will do the job, but not cost as much?

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I am on the trial version now, but i'm buying the full version soon.

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 10:25 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No need to buy another card!!! The SB Live supports monitoring, but only the full version can do this!

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 10:35 pm
Really? Then where do I plug my headphones in? Ususally if I want to mix with my headphones only, I have to switch the cable for the speakers, with the cable for the headphones...

What do I do, do I need a splitter?

Thanks

Posted Sat 01 Dec 01 @ 3:25 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
Well...

If using a SB Live!, you will plug your headphones into the front output, and your mix will come out the rear (might be reversed, depending on your config)

The SB Live! has two outputs.. front and rear. one is mix, one is monitor.

Simply select the middle icons (headphones and 3D card) in the sound config.

I have noticed some quality degrades using the 3D mode of soundcards, esp. the Live!. If this poses a problem for you, just about any el-cheapo soundcard can be purchased and added to the system. I've found many in the $10-$15 range that work just fine. You'd then select two sound card mode and set the cards appropriatly.

Another option is USB headphones or USB speakers. you simply plug them into your USB port, and it creates a sound device. You'd then use the USB device as your monitor.

-Nate

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 10:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)