Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The Infamous problem with SB Live's under NT

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was having the usual problem with AtomixMP3 and an SB Live where having selected 3D Soundcard and output to mixer, both channels had a mix of both the 'decks'. After much cursing, swearing and trying other drivers, I:

1. Installed XP
2. Installed the SBLive XP driver update ticking both options (AudioHQ and Surround mixer). Available here: http://www.soundblaster.com/support/drivers/
3. Set windows speakers to quadraphonic (under Control Panel Sounds, speech etc. "Change the speaker settings" Advanced
4. Set the AudioHQ speakers to "4 speakers"
5. Set Atomix to 3D soundcard outputting to mixer.

It works perfectly now. I'm fairly certain that NT workstation handles sound cards in a bizarre manner, hence why it doesn't work as expected. Exhibit A for this statement is that when selecting which sound device to use (under AtomixMP3 config) it lists the usual "Primary Sound Driver" and instead of listing "SB Live! Wave Device" it only gives the option of "SB Live! Wave Device (emulated)" which to my mind indicates that's why it won't work.

Anyone have any other experience or know differently?

Posted Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 12:08 am
I forgot the exact reason, but the SB Live PCI cards try to reserve the entire PCI bus to itself when accessed. Unfortunetly, under NT (and I think Win2K) the OS doesn't like it very much and the breaks in audio is what you get. And since Creative hasn't really bothered to update the drivers for those OSs, there really isnt much that can be done except use a different OS, or a different multi-speaker sound card. Anyway, if your a "pro" DJ and use Atomix for lots of gigs, you'r better off getting a true 24bit 96khz sound card. Even the new SB Audigy falls short of its own claims (only about 89db signal to noise ratio, not the 100db Creative claims).

Grimmy

Posted Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 7:40 pm
The problem on NT was probably the acceleration levels..

control panel - sound - advanced properties on the playback device - performance tab - hardware acceleration slider to standard.

If the slider is at basic or off, it goes into an 'emulated' mode, and everything gets allllll funky!

I've experienced this on NT and 2K. Bumping up the acceleration slider changes the device name (!) to get rid of the 'emulated' thing.

Under NT and 2k, you must have Live!Ware 3.0 loaded to use 3D... but XP supports 4 channel 3D cards nativly.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 01 @ 6:47 am
Now you come to mention it, the sound quality was distinctly suspect under NT. When changing speeds or skipping to another part of the song it was definately crackling a fair bit. I'll have a look at the soundcard eacceleration level on another machine - cheers for that - but I've wiped NT off that machine now; running two copies of XP instead (for if, or more likely, when one goes down - mid-gig most likely!)

You mentioned a using a beter 3D soundcard that has a better SNR. Got any suggestions? The only ones I'm familiar with that have 4 channels other than Creative's are the Aureal-type one's and I always thought those were supposed to be worse(?).

Posted Fri 16 Nov 01 @ 9:38 am
I've been eye'ing echo audio's gina24. You get 4 seperate stereo wave device outputs, dont have to worry about 3D crap, and get a really good SN ratio. expensive though, at about $400...

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Gina/Default.htm

However they dont have full drivers for 2k OR nt. :|

I've tried many 3D cards, it seems they all have lackings... I mix with an external mixer, so I need a decent two-channel card...

Posted Tue 20 Nov 01 @ 8:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)