Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 1 Sound card or 2?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm trying to spec out a 1U rackmount PC with AtomixMP3 for Disco use. I figured a 1U case with 2 removable drive bays and a motherboard with on-board IDE RAID and LAN would let you have mirrored drives (essential if you don't want to stop playing if your hard drive goes down mid-gig, and with life on-the-road being a lot tougher than sitting on a desk, lets face it, it's something to consider) and back-up or song upload over a network. There's loads of cases available, just search for "1U rackmount case" (no quotes) but I'm possible looking at this one: http://www.enlightcorp.com/server_cases/2110sx_server.shtml

Anyway, the problem I have is that all the 1U cases allow only 1 PCI slot to be used, so only one sound card (you can't really consider using the available on-board sound, that comes on some mother-boards, for serious disco use!). 1 PCI slot would allow me to have 1 SB Live. I want to attach the output of the PC to a mixer and mix using the sliders. Can that be done with just one SB Live? I think there's an option to fade between front and rear (the SB Live being a 4 channel card: Front Left, FR, RR, RL) but would that work or is it just designed for monitoring?

Anyone done this already and recommend parts or know of good suppliers in the UK?

Cheers,

Gareth

Posted Fri 20 Apr 01 @ 11:48 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can do that.

I use a SB Live with an external mixer. The front to channel 1 the rear to channel 2. In Atomix, the crossfadr is on full, and always in the middle, so both songs are send with full volume to the both channels on the mixer. There you can use all features, like monitor, effects, etc.

The mixer is linked to the amp, from where the output goes to the speakers and back to the line in of the SB. So I can record the song on the HDD with a simple record tool.

mama

Posted Sat 21 Apr 01 @ 7:46 am
Gareth,

Did you receive a quotation for that rack case yet ?
If so, can you share it with me ? Apparently it's not stated on their site.

I've been looking for a rack case myself, but they seem to be incredibly expensive (compared to "standard" cases)

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Posted Sun 22 Apr 01 @ 5:46 pm
Hy everybody, I`m Christiano from Brasil, and i`ve bought a rackmount chassi 19" for my PC. I decided to get it , because i usually like to load my equipment into professional cases to gig to the parties over here. I recomended this rackmount for pro users, just because there is a large free space in this chassi to manage the hardware and to fix problems quickly. Besides, you can put it into the mobile rack with handles and wheels. I know it`s expansive, but it`s very , very useful for us, like pro users. It took me about U$ 160,00. I found it in www.shentech.com ( computers ). It`s in New York and this store is great ! Take a look !

Posted Wed 30 Oct 02 @ 3:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)