Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: when maximized, refresh rate is at an abysmal 60hz

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

karelHome userMember since 2002
atomixmp3 seems to have a problem that no other software has. when it is maximized, the refresh rate switches over to 60hz...

1- display properties: settings
2- selected 32 bit, 1024x768
3- clicked on advanced , monitor
4- selected 120 hz(highest this machine can go at this res.)
5- applied all changes
6- pressed the menu button on my sony trinitron 19" monitor (BAM! it says 120hz!)
7- run atomixmp3
8- loaded the 'jn_classic 1024x768 v2.1' skin, Maximize atomix
9- a slight pause occurs while the monitor adjusts
10-new skin is loaded, now hit the menu button on my monitor (BAM! its now 60hz!!)

i run different games all the time on this machine, and they never have the problem that atomix is having. its almost like the developers hardcoded it to run at 60hz.

there goes my vision, i need new glasses

- Karel

Posted Tue 09 Apr 02 @ 9:46 pm
Same problems here... I usually have my desktop set to 1024x768@80Hz and with Truecolor chosen but anytime I start Atomix it starts to adjust my screen to 60Hz every freaking time I even click on it, not only in fullscreen mode but even if I "restore" the window from maximized mode and try to move it the monitor pauses and adjusts the frequency back and forth for no particular reason several times every time a change the focus from for example Explorer, back to Atomix.

Atomix has a SERIOUS problem with refreshrates other than 60Hz, it seems to be hellbent on ALWAYS displaying it self at 60Hz.. if I minimize Atomix I get back to my normal 80Hz-setting but I can't even right-click on the Atomix-taskbar button without it changing that setting back and forth like crazy....

Posted Wed 10 Apr 02 @ 10:02 am
It looks like the programmers hard coded the 60hz screen refresh into Atomix. By now they've probably heard the problem and will be taking it out in the future version. ;)

But for now, you can use either PowerStrip or HZ Tools to keep your screen refresh rate set at what you want it to be. You can go as high as your monitor and vid card are capable of, even if Windows doesn't have the setting.

I never really noticed the problem on my comp since I use PowerStrip to control my refresh rates. But if Atomix changes screen resolutions when I change skins, I can see that it attempts to set its 60hz rate, but PowerStrip forces whatever my usual hz is. I suggest that you use either program (HZ Tool is free), and set your desktop size to the skin size you use. That way, when you open Atomix, minimize it, or move it around, it will not attempt to change refresh rates. If you use a different desktop size before you open Atomix, it will of course switch back and fourth when you minimize.

Posted Fri 12 Apr 02 @ 1:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)