Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Are 128kbps enough for a club?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to know if mp3 songs with 128kbps quality can be used to a club with good results,which is good sound of course.Or i sould use mp3 songs with quality close to cd quality,which is 192kbps or 320kbps?thank u for answering!

Posted Tue 24 Sep 02 @ 3:53 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Oh man, you don't want to open this can of worms again... Personally I have encoded 14 years worth of DJ archives at 128. They sound great, and I work a minimum of 4 club/bar shifts each week. However, over the years whenever I have downloaded a few files, sometimes the 128's sound a bit off. With that in mind I have decided if you are ripping from an original source disc, 128 will be fine. However if you aren't encoding your own tracks, you may want to set your minimum at 192.
However, that's just my opinion. There are several here who may not agree with me.
Rip a file at 128, rip the same file at 192, listen to them both, and make your own choice.

good luck!

Posted Tue 24 Sep 02 @ 5:22 am
An Mp3 that's encoded at a lower bit rate usually has only the higher frequencies removed and since the bass is usually overpowering everything else, it doesn't really matter. But if you really care, you can't go wrong with 192+

Posted Tue 24 Sep 02 @ 5:48 am
With my personal experience ... The higher quality sound systems you are using ... the higher bitrate you should choose. You will not notice a difference between 128 and 256 if you are using headphones or computer speakers. When you are broadcasting over thousand watt PA systems .. you should definately use higher bitrates.

You have to understand that MP3 IS a lossy compression format ... meaning that quality and integrity is lost when the file is converted over to a compressed format.

When encoding from CD's ... I ALWAYS use 192 .. its not as big as 256 or 320 and (IMO) find that they sound better than 128 (The highs and lows are more crisp). Storage is becoming so cheap these days ... you CAN afford to store large files. But You also have to keep in mind the human ear can detect differences in audio quality up to a certain point.

In Rick's (impressionsDJ) case, I am sure that the people he plays for won't notice the difference between 64 and 320 Kbps ?!!!! But when you go to big clubs, where you will have alot of audiophilists (people who are obessed with High quality stuff) who are anti-mp3, you'd want to go for quality.

MAKE SURE TO USE A QUALITY CD-RIPPER LIKE Exact-Audio-Copy (EAC ... thx 4 all the advise grimm).

I am sure Grimm can shed more light on this issue.

Trip.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 02 @ 7:05 pm
_editHome userMember since 2002
Well personally i try and use the highest bit rate i can. I rip all my music at 320, and i never download any music under 224. And if i find a track at a higher bit rate i upgrade it :)
HD be damned i say! Even ripping at 320 your file size is less than a quarter the size (as compared to a 16bit wave file which is 1411 kbps).
IMO 192 and under sound like *ahem* crap.
...im a bit of an audiophile though.

Also i have some tracks in my set that i have to pitch shift a lot (-25% or so, vry slow funky trance) and i keep them as wav files because you lose the sound quality when doing the same to mp3's.

anywho, thats my 2 cents.

Posted Sat 28 Sep 02 @ 2:43 pm
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
128kbps is good for public places, and when you use them at home it depends on what player you play your songs.
My default juke-box player at home is the partyplayer from xaudio.
It has a limiter that will give a good sound.

Go to www.xaudio.de

Grtz Salva

Posted Sun 29 Sep 02 @ 12:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)