Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Playing on a Beach !!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

XtremeHome userMember since 2002
Heya mates ....
a friend of mine has bin asked 2 play for newyears on a beach
for a huge beach party :)
can anyone gime me some good advice /Tips i can give my friend
he is using a full dj setup . he uses cd players /turntable
lots of lights etc

any body got ay good tips on playing on a beach ??

ThanX =)

-If its too Loud ur 2 Old-

Posted Thu 12 Sep 02 @ 4:01 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
well im assuming he's a decent DJ.

anyhow, my biggest comment would be to put something around the DJ booth to keep the sand out, especially if there's gonna be wind. sand will destroy anything.. records, equiptment, computers, etc etc.

aim your speakers out to the ocean. it sounds better, and keeps noise at the beachfront down. plus in encourages people to play in or closer to the water.. you get the drift.

-mer

Posted Thu 12 Sep 02 @ 5:58 pm
It would be so cool if he used a fog machine.......on the beach.......maybe expanding onto the water........cool....

-MixMasterMatt

Posted Fri 13 Sep 02 @ 6:53 pm
rick (impressionsDJ) has had many many gigs on the beach. Get some advice from him !

Posted Fri 13 Sep 02 @ 8:20 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have had several Beach Gigs. The one bar I worked at had a picnic table set up 15 feet from the water, and all the cables running back to the DJ booth inside. I sat at the picnic table with my laptop and a mixer, and drank cold beer and played an afternoon of awesome happy hour tunes. I didn't have any sand issues. It was often pretty breezy, but unless you are using turntables, that shouldn't be a problem.

Just kick back, and think to yourself, I can't believe I'm getting paid for this.

Posted Fri 13 Sep 02 @ 8:25 pm
What do you mean by "happy hour" ?

Posted Sat 14 Sep 02 @ 1:19 am
Happy hour... in this case, happy hour was 4:00 until 8:00. Then I would leave the beach, and go to another club to start at 9:00 and go till 1:00.

Posted Sat 14 Sep 02 @ 1:48 pm
Happy hour is when you get two drinks for the price of one. It happends for an hour or two once a day.

-MixMasterMatt

Posted Tue 17 Sep 02 @ 12:07 am
I don't know... happy hour has different meanings at different bars... One bar I play at doesn't do drink specials, but the put out a fre food buffet. Others do "Buck Off" specials. It's just a good excuse to start drinking early in the day.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 02 @ 2:00 am
_editHome userMember since 2002
BEACH = BROKE!
By broke i mean you'll be cashless afterward from having to buy all new gear from all the sand that killed it.

Oh woh to the dj who doesnt have a windbreak around his gear....
> bad memories.
Beach parties are great, as long as you protect your stuff, and afterwards you should borrow an air compressor, take apart all your gear, and BLAST that devil-sand outta there! :))

also invest in a wheelchair, cause i guarentee the next day your legs will be so sore from the soft sand that you wont be able to walk. :p

Posted Sat 28 Sep 02 @ 3:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)