Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Independent volume control for 3D rear channel/monitor output

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

aknit44Home userMember since 2002
Hi guys.

I was wondering whether there's a skin or plugin that can allow us to independently control the volume levels of the sound in the headphones, when either connected to the rear channel of a 3D sound card or when Atomix is configured to use 2 sound cards, one for headphone monitors, and another going to the mixer/amp.

Most times, when you increase the levels of the total output, you can't hear what's in the headphones.. Much obliged.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 02 @ 9:06 am
That will probably have to be solved under the Multimedia-section in the Control-panel where you can adjust(/lower) one or both soundcards' individual output..
As for 3D soundcards..hmm.. I'm not so familiar with them but I would guess that if you configure it for quadraphonic sound or whatever it's called the front and rear will be balanced and won't mix into eachother..and if you choose any other configuration it's probably individual results for each type/make of soundcard.. perhaps it's possible to find some setting in the soundcard configuration (not in Atomix, the ordinary soundcard(driver) configuration) to adjust the front/rear volumes

Posted Mon 17 Jun 02 @ 1:02 pm
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
The problem with this is that you can only control sound levels and other settings on an active card, i.e the card that you have selected as the default in the control panel. The other card will be seen, but you won't have a dedicated mixer for it, as the Windows mixer will now be dedicated to the "preferred device".

3D sound cards are basically cards that have two outputs, front and rear. The front channel is the one we mostly use, for the simple reason that the rear channel is naturally underpowered. So you want to route your front channel to the place it matters most, your mixer and amp, and leave the headphones on the rear channel. This works well, but is dependent on the total acoustic volume produced by your Windows mixer. To get the most out of your headphones, you will need to crank the volume and wave levels to maximum. However, if you want to avoid clipping and maintain good sound, you send your amp only half your sound card's output, and amplify the rest from the amp and mixer. That means your headphones are close to dead, and you can't monitor efficiently.

Having a headphones sound level controller on Atomix, for the channel the user has selected is a good option, as Atomix, and NOT WINDOWS, knows how to interact with and use both cards quite well. All the developers would need to do is have a headphone level knob wherever the user selects the current playing deck/channel. Atomix already knows how to use 3D sound card and even 2 sound cards, and would know which channel to boost.

Doesn't this sound logical?

Posted Mon 17 Jun 02 @ 1:46 pm
It sure does aknit, thanks for sorting it all out..
and a gain-control for the preview (which I recon that control would be seen as) would be very usefull for people mixing under hard circumstances and really need to crank up the headphones no matter how hard they dist'/clip.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 02 @ 9:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)