Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My 1SSSSSSSST live gig !

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

atriusHome userMember since 2002
Here's something that my get some of you interested : last night, for my first time, I DJed live in front of people (100 in number) with my Atomix !

Number of people wasn't big, however its the quality of people which counts - Its a pub in Tel-Aviv, the center of Israel's nightlife. People who know and appreciate good music when its played hang there, and come FOR the music.

So I played progressive, tribal, and deep. I'm very updated with the recent releases and its the music in fashion nowadays. So here are some of my good and bad conclusions :

- I used to mix with Traktor. I got a few people to comment that my mixing improved (now that I'm using different software,my own comment). Conclusion : Atomix did only good to my reputation as a DJ and to my mixing.

- People were very pleased with my technique and selection of songs. In a set of 3 hours, nothing suprising happened and everything went as planned. I was very satisfied with the stability of Atomix.

- THE BAD : the majority of people who gave feedback also told me this very disturbing fact : the sound quality is POOR. Nevermind the sound system at the place is nothing special imho, and the sound volume wasn't too high as well - this is a pub after all - but the superior quality of professionaly mixed CDs which came before and after my set showed how poor the sound quality is. A few people suggested I'd buy a better sound card (Audigy, or a professional one), as I'm using very basic and amature sound cards.. I just might doing so. It just was so annoying that my music was BETTER and still DIDN'T SOUND AS GOOD. You could imagine the frustration, especially if you're wishing for perfection like me .

I know its pretty much Atomix' fault. I might sound ungrateful, but Traktor had the most professional sound quality with my humble hardware.

So first, thanks. I now appreciate AtomixMP3 (v2.1) even more, when I got some positive feedback. However - please,try to improve the sound quality. I'm about to buy a 200$ sound card so my mixing sound quality would be better.

And off topic - Please improve the syncing in long mixes. The beats just dont hang together, automatically or manually.

Bottom line : I was a bit frustrated, but don't let your overall impression be negative - The set was wonderful and I'm becoming a regular at the place. I find AtomixMP3 as my software of choice.

Comments on the falls and highs mentioned in this thread are, as well as questions, welcome and will be appreciated :)

Posted Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 6:14 pm
manuelHome userMember since 2002
well woopde doo

Posted Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 8:41 pm
congrats on your first live gig. I did my first "big" gig (600 people) with atomix last week. Maybe you'd like to read my thoughts, i think its like a page or two into the general forum.

i had the same thoughts as you. atomix worked well but the sound quality of mp3's over a big soundsystem is rather lacking

Posted Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 8:44 pm
Congrats. I'm using a M-Audio Quattro sound card and the song rocks. I payed it $200. I has 4 separate analog input and 4 ouput + midi interface. The only problem is that I can use only one stereo output because atomixmp3 does not identify the existence of a second pair of audio output on the interface.

Nevertheless, I experienced my mixes on a big sound system and the Quattro rocks.

Posted Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 9:24 pm
its not atomix, its the quattro, the drivers only support 4 outputs via AISO drivers. M audio doenst really make this info upfront, til you buy the thing and read it in the manual

kinda misleading i think

Posted Fri 26 Apr 02 @ 7:10 am
Thanks for your comments.. I actually thought about investing on a more "mainstream" soundcard, which will cost less (still 200$ here) and still be supported and known,something like "Audigy".

Whats your thoughts about this soundcard, especially when being used with Atomix ? Is anyone using it ?

Posted Fri 26 Apr 02 @ 5:44 pm
Audigys and Extigys are both good, but a new soundcard isn't
going to make things sound that much better, you know. Especially when 24 bit / 96khz output is currently a pipe dream.

You need higher bit rate mp3's and we need a higher quality mix engine....

Posted Fri 26 Apr 02 @ 9:39 pm
Hi guys! I use my onboard sound(CMI3778 or something like that) for my one channel and a cheap old ISA sound card (Crystal4235) for the other. Both my channels sound exactly the same (even at high volumes at gigs). The sound is excellent (compares to original CD's) and there are NO skipping. My PC: Celeron 433, 128meg ram, onboard VGA, 60 gig HD and WIN98se. For all you that have bad sound quality- get the latest drivers for your Soundcards.
Happy mixing
DJ Jack
PS: Also had my first gig Saterday - no problems.

Posted Sat 27 Apr 02 @ 12:01 am
dj2nvHome userMember since 2004
shalom atrius,
ùìåí, à'ôåä àúä áéùøàì?
i used to speak alot more hebrewww
do use msn messenger?
if yes plz add dj2nv@djsuperstars.com (me)
or email me!!!
úåãä çáø
ùìåí,
.::DJ Ben Jammin::.
áï

Posted Sat 27 Apr 02 @ 11:42 am
Another big reason that the sound quality is not the greatest ... you're probably downloading songs on the P2P networks (kazzaa, winmx, etc.) where there are encoded poorly with shit encoders and low bitrates. You probably will not notice a difference if your rip the file yourself from CD at a high bitrate (192 and higher).

Posted Sat 27 Apr 02 @ 4:00 pm
So many factors to blame - its really not necessary.

I can't really believe the drivers are the problem. To DJ Jack - Maybe your definitions are a bit different than the ones the general public uses.

Drivers are not the problem, not when your soundcard plays MP3s perfectly, copes with the newest games easily, works like charm with other mixing program, but with Atomix sounds like shit. You can put the blame to so many factors, but why doing so when you know its the engine,or if you'd like - the "spoiled" engine which requires a strong soundcard.

In addition, imho, PLAYING LOW-RATE MP3S IS UNPROFESSIONAL. I never play MP3s which are less than 192KBPs, and 50% of my MP3s collection are rips of bought vinyls (I support the music industry, hurray :) ). I have no doubt that a big blame is on the medium itself, but when other alternatives show that you can do better - then you can, simply, do better.

To the dude who spoke about output streams - how do you mention those numbers ? ("24 bit / 96khz output") based on what ?

Is there someone who's using Audigy or some other professional sound card and have good sound quality ? Examples are necessary before my purchase .

Cheers and thanks in advance . :)

Posted Sat 27 Apr 02 @ 6:20 pm
mhvuHome userMember since 2003
I use Santa Cruz soundcard and it sound awsome for me.

Posted Fri 03 May 02 @ 5:16 am
hi i just installed an audigy platinum (win 2000, 1400 mhz athlon) and im getting the channel bleed over again .... it goes quiet when you click on the track you want to monitor and the crossfader does not fully fade the track..... deanyoda (professional dj) ill get back to ya when i have sorted it . deanyoda@hotmail.com

Posted Wed 14 Aug 02 @ 6:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)