Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Possibility to set automix rule for artist separation?
imlachPRO SubscriberMember since 2024
Hi, I was wondering if there's any way to tell the automix to not repeat the same artist in a space of let's say, one hour? I'd quite like to have a huge mixed pool of songs, with multiple from the same artist, and ensure that they don't get played after one another on my radio stream.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 24 @ 10:57 am
With a really "huge pool of songs", if you use shuffle, the chances to get 2 songs from the same artist to play "back to back" or very close, are really slim.

Other than that, VirtualDJ was not designed as a Radio Automation Program (which would/should have such an option/function)

Posted Tue 17 Sep 24 @ 11:13 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It could be done with script maybe a plugin but tagging would have to be on point, and actually making it happen is no small task.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 24 @ 11:32 am
imlachPRO SubscriberMember since 2024
Appreciate the replies. Yeah, makes sense - it isn't automation software. I still think I can make it work for my intended purpose, I'd prefer not to go back to software like SAM which feels pretty archaic compared to VDJ. I also like the Tidal integration.

Might go down the route of more specific playlists with one track from each artist, then shuffle and rotate between the playlists.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 24 @ 11:51 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I had a 2 minute think on this, I've got a thing that builds random-ish playlists, but they can have partial continuity picking from spec'd folders; like 3 random rap, 5 random breaks, 2 random triphop, 3 random house classics, 3 more rap etc.
I've also made plugins that can read a tag with delimiters and build filters from that data read.
So it's not impossible, your side you'd have to have a strict artist tag format like
artist1, artist2
or use another tag with that same strict formatting,
Time would difficult, it would be easier to have like a "don't see this artist again in the next 20 tracks" sort of filtering.

But as I said, it's no small undertaking.

Posted 6 days ago @ 11:48 pm