Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: need for get_pioneer_display docs
Hi all.
I'm a developer and I'm very interested in the get_pioneer_display function, but I can't find a specification for its options and the data passed anywhere. Is it possible to get it somehow? There is no description in the documentation. I tried calling it through the network_control plugin, but Virtual DJ crashes when requested. Are there any debugging tools for developers?

Posted Thu 08 Aug 24 @ 9:39 pm
This function is specific to some PioneerDJ devices.
It passes data through HID on a way that complies with PioneerDJ devices.
So, unless you develop a HID class device that emulates 100% a known PioneerDJ device firmware, this function is useless.

PS: Device/Firmware specific actions are confidential data and we cannot share.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 6:43 am
It's a pity that the information is closed. By the way, Pioneer shares information about data formats in its documentation. At least my DDJ ERGO has detailed information. I'm developing a DIY remote control (sampler), for example, I want to receive a waveform to generate an image on the display. I wouldn’t want to spend six months on reverse engineering. If there is any unclassified information, it would be cool to use it

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 9:20 am
Yes, your ERGO is a simple device.
However, more complicated controllers such as DDJ-1000 or DDJ-FLX10 have two parts of information.
The public part that's the MIDI messages that they can exchange with the host app, and the HID messages that draw information on the screen. The HID part is not public.
Finally, even if we could tell you how get_pioneer_display "works" ,
1) It's not suitable to fetch a sample waveform (as the action itself is designed to fetch specific information only found on Pioneer devices) and
2) You would have to make your remote control to work as a HID device, and interpret the data the same way a Pioneer controller would do. In other words, you would have to program your device to work "the same" as a Pioneer controller.
This last part is more difficult than it sounds!

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 12:11 pm
Yes, device development is not an easy thing. But there are simply no analogues to Virtual DJ in terms of capabilities. If information on the Pioneer protocols is closed, then perhaps in future versions we should add an analogue of the get_pioneer_display function that can produce binary data in some kind of its own, but open format, accessible for DIY implementation or for other manufacturers? Such a feature would be very useful and would add to its popularity.
Thanks for the answers!

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 8:10 pm