Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems FX Issue Just Popped Up - Page: 1
I noticed this issue recently on both the most recent EA as well as most recent stable build.

For the longest, I haven't had any issues using Stems FX with the pad page. No timing issues, no sound issues, nothing. Today, I noticed something. When I hit the stem pad to activate a stem effect, two things happen....1) the overall volume jumps & 2) there is an ever so slight skip ahead. The timing is BARELY noticeable, but it is noticeable enough that it throws the timing of the song off, especially when another song is playing as well. Did something change recently that I missed, because usually this all boils down to user error. But by the same token, this has never happened to me before. TIA.

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 2:46 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is this with Rane 70 , some other, or without any hardware either

We 'll check.

Before doing some tests as written below, can you verify that there is no issue with a previous Build ... https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html (8225 or lower) ?

Do you get the same behavior if fxProcessing VirtualDJ setting is set to Post-fader or Pre-fader ?
Same behavior is the device FLEX FX is in software or Hardware mode ?

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 9:08 am
djdad wrote :
Is this with Rane 70 , some other, or without any hardware either

We 'll check.

Before doing some tests as written below, can you verify that there is no issue with a previous Build ... https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html (8225 or lower) ?

Do you get the same behavior if fxProcessing VirtualDJ setting is set to Post-fader or Pre-fader ?
Same behavior is the device FLEX FX is in software or Hardware mode ?

I saw this behavior with my Rane 70 as well as with no hardware connected. I don't remember this being an issue before, but I just downgraded to 8225 and 8124 to test, and still got the same behavior, but without the noticeable spike in volume. I tried both pre and post fader, and still got the same behavior as well. I wasn't using the hardware Flex FX, but for reference, the Flex FX stays in hardware mode, and the pad page Stems FX is usually used pre-fader. However, I first noticed this with no hardware, and only went to the 70 to find out if it was just my imagination. I'm wondering if it's been like this the whole time and I just never noticed until the volume spike.

Thanks for the response.

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 10:35 am
Yes, the pre/post-fader setting wont change anything, since there no USB Send/Return channels to use.

so, with just Master (and Headphones) in your Audio Setup , and no hardware connected, you still get the 2 reported issues or just the 1) ?

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 11:24 am
Both. If necessary, I’ll record a video when i get home from work.

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 3:44 pm
Sorry it took so long to circle backl. Life got in the way. But here's a video. I THINK I have isolated this to the right deck. As you can see in the video, the left deck doesn't present this issue. However, you see the right deck waveforms stay lined up, but you can hear the audio obviously jump out of phase when activating the stem pad. When all stems are playing, the audio matches the waveform. Drop any stem on the right deck, and this is the result. This video was recorded with the Rane 70/12s combo, but is the same thing that happens with no hardware connected.

https://youtu.be/HkYUvtqUj20

Posted Fri 26 Jul 24 @ 4:45 pm
I could explain if using a device with USB FX Send/Return channels (such as the Rane 70) and Stems FX, but not when no hardware is connected and just Stems channels Mute, as per your video.
I really cannot reproduce any of this.

So you are telling me that you can reproduce this with just your Built-in Sound card and Master output (without anything else there) and without any hardware ??

Posted Fri 26 Jul 24 @ 5:00 pm
One other Q, in your video it seems that you use just the top Pads of the Page, not any of the bottom which apply StemFXs, right ?

Posted Fri 26 Jul 24 @ 5:21 pm
djdad wrote :
I could explain if using a device with USB FX Send/Return channels (such as the Rane 70) and Stems FX, but not when no hardware is connected and just Stems channels Mute, as per your video.
I really cannot reproduce any of this.

So you are telling me that you can reproduce this with just your Built-in Sound card and Master output (without anything else there) and without any hardware ??

See video link below.

https://youtu.be/M01Nkb1gdes

Posted Fri 26 Jul 24 @ 7:22 pm
djdad wrote :
One other Q, in your video it seems that you use just the top Pads of the Page, not any of the bottom which apply StemFXs, right ?

I actually first noticed this when using the bottom row pads. That's actually my preferred method. I rarely use the top row pads, and actually decided to do it that way on the fly when making the 1st video. In the follow up video that I just posted above, I had no hardware connected and used the bottom row pads, with the exact same results.

Posted Fri 26 Jul 24 @ 7:24 pm
Anything?

Posted Sat 27 Jul 24 @ 8:04 pm
Which one exactly is the Pads Page you are using ? Please point to a link or a pic from Extensions tab.

Have you made any changes to the action of any of the pads of this Pads page ?

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 10:56 am
I’ll have to find the link when i get home to my dj machine to the pad page i downloaded through the software. I did make script edits to the pads, but the same pads are being used on both decks, but only one deck is displaying the behavior.

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 7:19 pm
djdad wrote :
Which one exactly is the Pads Page you are using ? Please point to a link or a pic from Extensions tab.

Have you made any changes to the action of any of the pads of this Pads page ?

This is the pad page I use...
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/249222/addons/Stems___FX.html?page=1

I modified the bottom row scripts to the following:

Pad 5
var 'stemsnfx1' 1 ? on & set 'stemsnfx1' 0 & mute_stem 'melody' off : set 'stemsnfx1' 1 & effect_stems 'melody' & padfx_single 'echo' 0.75 0.5 0.30 0.60 & wait 0.5bt & padfx 'echo' & mute_stem 'melody' on & effect_stems 'melody'

Pad 6
var 'stemsnfx2' 2 ? on & set 'stemsnfx2' 0 & mute_stem 'instru' off & mute_stem 'bass' off : off & set 'stemsnfx2' 2 & slip_mode off ? slip_mode & effect_stems 'instru' on & effect_stems 'bass' on & padfx_single 'brakestart' 0.20 & wait 1.0bt & slip_mode off & mute_stem 'instru' on & mute_stem 'bass' on & padfx 'brakestart' & effect_stems 'instru' off & effect_stems 'bass' off & effect_stems 'rhythm' off

Pad 7
var 'stemsnfx3' 1 ? on & set 'stemsnfx3' 0 & mute_stem 'Rhythm' & mute_stem 'melody' off : set 'stemsnfx3' 1 & effect_stems 'melody' & effect_stems 'Rhythm' & padfx_single 'echo' 0.75 0.5 0.30 0.60 & wait 0.5bt & padfx 'echo' & mute_stem 'melody' on & mute_stem 'rhythm' & effect_stems 'melody' & effect_stems 'rhythm'

Pad 8
var 'stemsnfx4' 2 ? on & set 'stemsnfx4' 0 & mute_stem 'instru' off & mute_stem 'bass' off & mute_stem 'rhythm' off : off & set 'stemsnfx4' 2 & slip_mode off ? slip_mode & effect_stems 'instru' on & effect_stems 'bass' on & effect_stems 'rhythm' on & padfx_single 'brakestart' 0.25 & wait 1bt &slip_mode off & mute_stem 'instru' on & mute_stem 'bass' on & mute_stem 'rhythm' on & padfx 'brakestart' & effect_stems 'instru' off & effect_stems 'bass' off & effect_stems 'rhythm' off

Like I stated above, I have this pad page on both decks. The left deck behaves as intended (as shown in the video). The right deck exhibits the problem shown in the videos.

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 11:36 pm
Works here with Pads 5 to 8 assigned as yours.
Perhaps your right Deck Effects have different Params compared to the Left Deck ?
E.g. the BrakeStart or the Echo Effects ?
Open their FX GUI of both to compare

Also, does this happen with many of your Tracks, all maybe ?
If just some, any chance these Tracks have multiple BPM (not constant) or manually set some Beat Anchors ?

Posted Wed 31 Jul 24 @ 11:15 am
From what I remember, this was happening consistently. But it’s possible that it wasn’t every track. I’ll check that this evening.

Unknown beat anchors is a feasible explanation and i will look into that. As for fx settings causing this, i doubt this is the issue because if you go back to the first video, this issue was still presenting when i was using the default stem pads on pad 1-4 that simply activate and deactivate the stems.

Posted Wed 31 Jul 24 @ 8:33 pm
djdad wrote :
Works here with Pads 5 to 8 assigned as yours.
Perhaps your right Deck Effects have different Params compared to the Left Deck ?
E.g. the BrakeStart or the Echo Effects ?
Open their FX GUI of both to compare

Also, does this happen with many of your Tracks, all maybe ?
If just some, any chance these Tracks have multiple BPM (not constant) or manually set some Beat Anchors ?

Just did some more testing. Definitely not EVERY track. But its happening enough to be noticeable, and I can't pinpoint what is causing this. The only thing I have been able to isolate is that it only happens on the right deck when I use stems on that deck. I haven't found any wayward beat anchors, the track BPMs are steady (so it's not a fluctuating BPM problem), I tried using other stem pages with the same result....I'm at a loss.

In thinking about this, I have noticed this happening, but I always attributed it to user error with my timing, as most often, I use stems to drop the music on my current song at the chorus to bring in the new song's intro. I usually end up nudging the new song to get it in time...It wasn't until the day I made this post that I realized that there is something else happening here.

And now that I know about it, I'm hyper concious about it and it is hampering my workflow and my mixing...*Deep Sigh*

Posted Thu 01 Aug 24 @ 11:12 pm
I'm still trying to pin this down, and now I'm noticing it's an issue on both decks. I'm trying numerous songs, and have noted that it's still not every song, but it's random enough to train wreck my mixes. I'm doing these tests with no hardware. I am running the latest stable release, and have uninstallled and reinstalled the pad page. This has become VERY frustrating because stems has become a huge part of my mixing and this is making the software virtually unusable for me to do mistake-free mixes.

Is there ANY advice you can think of to help me? I'm growing desperate.

Posted Sun 04 Aug 24 @ 5:27 pm
Guess you had no luck...deep sigh

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 2:30 am
DJ A Sharp - The One Man Band wrote :
djdad wrote :
But with the same Tracks you can always reproduce ?
If so, can you send me one

Lvl Pro

Sent. Yes...There are certain trcaks that this reproduces with faithfully.

I have a small breakthrough. I recomputed the stems for the 2 tracks from the example videos and the problem stopped. Let me try it with a few more tracks.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 24 @ 3:07 am
95%