Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer acquisition of Serato denied - Page: 2
Most of the time, it's not the sound engineers (if the engineer is on hand they are moreso curious as to why the level became lower because of the "different" software amd then would just recommend turning up the master out)...it's owners and DJs that play alongside that may not have an great of an understanding of other software and of the audio signal flow and what can/should be changed to affect it. In addition, a lot of DJs I have encountered using other software don't even readily know of the headroom level settings used in their own software. However most of the same DJs I've encountered have heard of redlining, and have developed a negative perception of turning volumes knobs up, especialy if they have to turn it back down to continue (e.g. on a handover).

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 11:37 am
Ok, perhaps this may be a culture thing in the US/CA :P

I mean, I have never been in a place where "touching the master volume" was prohibited, or was undesired, or was perceived negatively.

I have been in places where a SPL DB Meter was provided and I (or any other DJ for that matter) was not allowed to even peak above a given threshold. What means I would use to keep my volume high enough, but not over the given threshold, the club "owners" could not care less. :P
I can understand THAT approach (music must not exceed a given SPL) and I respect such policies if that's how a place wants to roll, even if it's not about being within legal limits.
But I cannot genuinely understand the "don't touch the master" mentality! :P

Anyway, I think we beat this to death! LOL

Posted Tue 23 Jul 24 @ 12:10 pm