Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Audio issues since updates
Hi all

I djed at a festival on the weekend and I was the only DJ using VDJ. The rest were using Serato and had no issues. The sound system could not handle the sound coming out if my computer and the controller and mixer was redlining the entire time. They could not get it fixed.

I usually use a ddj flx10 controller and Ive noticed after a recent VDJ update this has started happening on my own controller.

I can't find anything in my audio settings that would help me fix this within my computer or within VDJ.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 2:08 am
DJAloha.Bachata wrote :
I djed at a festival on the weekend and I was the only DJ using VDJ. The rest were using Serato and had no issues. The sound system could not handle the sound coming out if my computer and the controller and mixer was redlining the entire time.

I can't find anything in my audio settings that would help me fix this within my computer or within VDJ.

(No offense intended by this response, but just being honest)
Different controllers can have different audio output levels, and some are "hotter"than others.
I'm not sure how long you have been using the software (VDJ) for, but the setting you are looking for is zeroDB (reduce to give more headroom/make quieter). This is something you can change live (and you should know about about this before doing a performance).
Also, given you were playing for a festival with other DJs, you should be doing a soundcheck before you performance to ensure your levels.

It is very unlikely that an update caused any changes to your zeroDB settings, but the devs are the only ones who can confirm that is the case (especially if you did know about it and change it but it didn't make any difference).

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 2:30 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Also, the FLX10 has a master volume knob, so even if you don't know about the zeroDb setting you can simply turn that knob down if your output is too loud?

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 4:58 am
Reading between the lines, I think maybe he wasn't using the FLX10 at the festival.

It is surprising though to think that neither the DJ or anyone else there thought to lower the volume or gains anywhere in the signal chain...

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 8:14 am
I'm calling this out..
There's no way a sound engineer on a "festival" doesn't know how to deal with a "very hot" signal, or with a very quiet signal, and "cannot fix it"

Also, when it comes to sound levels, VirtualDJ is no different than any other software. It will not apply "extra boost" to your sound. In fact users like to blame VirtualDJ for the built in limiter that will NOT allow them to add more volume than what is possible without distortion.

What could have happened though, is that user used a wrong sound setup or wrong sound settings, or a no way near professional soundcard/controller.
In that case, it's true, a sound engineer probably couldn't help as it's not his job to know how to setup the audio of various computer programs, nor to provide decent sound interfaces.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 8:28 am
We really need to know more details about what controller and mixer were being used, and how/where the computer was plugged in to the chain.

Line plugged into mic? But then how come the Serato guys were OK? Were they using the same hardware?

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 8:35 am