Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Motor off effect
dr.bartHome userMember since 2022
Hi all,

Is there a good way / script to simulate a turned off motor on a record player?

So it would be similar to a brake effect and gradually slow down the pitch until the record stops but it should work in both directions and ideally react to how the jog wheel is moved and released.

Alternatively a reverse brake and a way to return back to regular play with slip would help too but I did not manage to script it. Thanks

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 6:23 am
The BrakeStart fx works like that, except it's just an fx so triggered like an fx - not by the jog wheel

However even on a spinning jog wheel or on a real turntable it won't work like you describe on the jog/platter. That will simply stop instantly when you grab it, or nudge when you touch it
It will instead work like that on the start stop button (if you set it up for it)
And you an emulate that kind of start/stop behavior in VDJ by setting the rampStart and rampStop times

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 1:44 pm
dr.bartHome userMember since 2022
Thank you. The way I would do it on a turntable is either press stop or turn the motor off. Now the platter can still be moved by e.g. slowly spinning or nudging the record. As the needle is still on the record you would get these slow pitched effects. Hence I mentioned the jog wheel and was wondering whether we could recreate it in Virtual DJ.

As you mentioned rampStopTime I tried this (though it´s hard to get the curve right):

setting "rampStopTime" 2.0 & reverse & wait 100 ms & pause

Before I had this:

effect_slider 'brakestart' 1 50% & effect_active 'brakestart' ON & wait 300ms & pitch -3% & reverse & play & repeat_start 'pitchReturn' 10ms 20 & pitch -1% & repeat_start 'pitchReturn' 20ms 8 & pitch -2

and was using

setting "rampStopTime" 0.7 & setting "rampStartTime" 0.1 & pitch_reset 100% & play & reverse

to get back to normal and to play forward. However, I did not manage yet to combine it with Slip so that after the reverse brake I keep continuing on the track

Posted 7 days ago @ 4:19 pm