Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Mapping issues with Ableton Push 3
BosQuPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hello!

I have a definition file for Ableton Push 3 that i've written myself. Then I mapped the buttons to specific actions.

At first everything seemed to work as expected. But, sometimes the mapping just doesn't work for some actions.

For instance, here is the definition of one of the buttons:

<button note="0x5C" name="PAD1" deck="1" channel="0" />
<color name="LED_PAD1" default="PAD1" note="0x5C" />

And here is the mapping:

<map value="PAD1" action="play_button" />
<map value="LED_PAD1" action="deck 1 play ? color blue : color yellow" />

Until recently this approach worked as expected. But now, the play_button action doesn't work on any buttons even though the buttons are defined properly. I mapped other actions such a beat_jump on the same button and it works!

Did someone else encounter this problem with VDJ script actions? Can someone explain what may be the problem here?

Thank you!

Posted Sun 07 Jul 24 @ 3:28 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You can double-check what MIDI notes you get with this button.
Do you get 90 5C 7F while pressed and 90 5C 00 when released ?
Check with MIDIOX or similar
There is also a chance these PADs have velocity, so not just 00 and 7F

Posted Sun 07 Jul 24 @ 4:10 pm
I'm sure the button is detected correctly. Every time i press the button, it shows in the mapping editor.

If I assign any other action it works and behaves as expected. But, If i assign play_button, play_pause actions it does not work anymore. Same button, nothing changes except the selected action.

Unfortunately I cannot install MIDIOX since i don't have a Windows pc.

Also, I'm not sure how the velocity of a pad makes the button to work for one action and not for another.

And strangely enough, even play_button action worked for a period.

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 10:35 am
On Msc, you can use Snoize MIDI Monitor to see what exactly the Push controller is sending when a Pad is pressed.

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 12:50 pm
When I tap a pad the controller sends:

90 5C 12 -> 90 means it's on, 5C is the note I pressed, 12 is the velocity
80 5C 40 -> 80 means it's off

When I press for a while the pad, the controller sends: 'Channel pressure' message with for ex: 'D0 03' value.

But, I don't understand how this data helps me.

If I define a pad as a button, this means I should receive in VDJ on off events and ignore others. And I do receive them. Still, the action defined in the mapper file does not execute.

One more thing to mention is that idk why but the controller is shown 3 times in the controllers tab.

What do I miss?

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 3:32 pm
I suppose the 40 value for Off (80 5C 40) is not always the same, but changes according on the pressure the button had when released ?

Even though you could define it with velocity, it should still work as a "normal" button, the way you already did.
Before advising and testing further, since you said the same button works as other things, how exactly does it work with play_button ? and have you tried to see the behavior when the playMode setting is changed in VirtualDJ Settings ?

Posted Mon 08 Jul 24 @ 4:15 pm
If I just easy tap on pad, on release the velocity is always 40.

If I press the button harder it sends 'Channel pressure' message with for ex: 'D0 03' value.

Yesterday suddenly the mapping started working as it should but I noticed a strange behaviour while editing the mapping file. The 0x5C pad was assigned to beatjump action. It worked. Then i assigned to the same pad play_button action and saved. And when i pressed the pad, it did both actions. beatjump and play_button at the same time.

My guess is that there some kind of caching bug in VDJ. Since it did both actions though there was only one mapping file, I assume, somehow it has one more mapping file in RAM which means that actions are performed twice which means that they can cancel each other. That's why play_button action only loads the track in deck but doesn't play it. Same story for loops.

The mapping sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. And I have Snoize MIDI Monitor opened, and controller sends signals every time I press a pad so it's not a controller fault.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 5:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since you mentioned it shows up 3x in controllers, perhaps make sure you disable 2 of them so they don't interfer?

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 5:40 pm
Disabling the other controllers solved the problem!

Thank you very much for the support and fast replies.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 24 @ 6:46 pm