Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ altering tags
KDJ LeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi,
PROBLEM: VDJ on my work DJ laptop is altering tags when importing tracks.

BACKGROUND:
I have spent weeks and weeks completely re-tagging my karaoke collection.
I do this on my main PC which I use to prep all my files before they get loaded onto my DJ laptop.
This is done with MP3TAG.
The collection is very large - 180,000 MP3 files and 180,000 associated CDG files.
The tags were perfect. They are then uploaded to my cloud account on MEGA. MEGASYNC keeps my files synced between the PC and the cloud.
This was showing 100% synced.
Tracks were played on the PC using VDJ and no problems were found.
Everything stayed as it should.

However, after I moved the external drive (Drive F on the PC and also drive F on the DJ laptop) to the DJ laptop and started importing files, I noticed some fields were blank.
Taking the drive back to the PC and opening my tag editor again, I found VDJ has made many changes to the tags.
Many GENRE tags were blank. Many COMMENT tags were blank.
Many files tags had been mangled in the ALBUM/TRACK/ARTIST fields.
I laboriously put these back to how they should be, but next time I plugged the drive into the DJ laptop it happened again.
Some folders have the first 8 or 9 tracks in that folder mangled, but the rest left alone.
MEGASYNC is currently re-uploading 32000 changed files back to the cloud for the 3rd time.

WHAT NEXT:

What settings do I have to tick to make sure VDJ does not alter any tags without my permission?
Have I discovered a bug?
I am using the latest build of VDJ and it happened with the previous build.

Thank you,

Lee.

Posted Thu 04 Jul 24 @ 5:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The only time vdj updates tags are
-You press 'write tags' in the tag editor
-You set 'setTagsAuto' to yes, and updated the tag in vdj
-You selected a new cover for the track in the tag editor

Posted Thu 04 Jul 24 @ 5:52 pm
Well there is a bug then.
I am away now for a few days but when I return I will take photos of the changes being made as this is repeatable.

Lee.

Posted Fri 05 Jul 24 @ 10:13 am
I regularly edit my tags outside of VirtualDJ (using Kid3) before import, and then check them on import to Lexicon, and I can vouch for what Adion is saying - if I don't edit the tags in the editor and don't have setTagsAuto enabled, or coverDownload set to auto (or anything else that can update tags), I've not encountered a case where the tags of my files have been altered by VirtualDJ (and VirtualDJ definitely doesn't erase tags randomly).

Are you sure all of the settings he mentioned are set accordingly to no/disabled?

Posted Fri 05 Jul 24 @ 1:29 pm
Sorry for the late reply.
I have to apologise.
Indeed, it turned out that on one of my machines, SetTagsAuto was set to yes, which meant that when the hard drive was plugged into that particular machine...... it altered the tags.
I have double checked, and all machines now have the correct settings.
Sorry for doubting!!

Lee.

Posted Mon 05 Aug 24 @ 3:41 pm