Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Xone 4D mapping
I've just got my hands on a Zone 4D & despite being over 10 years old is still some bit of kit.
It's also the first mixer I've ever had where I've had to read the manual to get sound out of it!

However, the mapping in VDJ doesn't seem to be quite right.

1. The jog dials are both mapped as "JOG", so no differentiation between left & right.
2. The same with the encoder dials & their respective push actions ("ENC_SHIFT" & "SW_SHIFT"), no differentiation between left & right.
The MIDI CC messages are highlighted in red below.

3. The button LEDs highlighted in green are always on & unaffected by the mapping.
4. The PFL buttons highlighted blue aren't mapped in VDJ at all.

Any help from the devs would be amazing, especially point 1 as without the jog dials working independently the mixer doesn't serve it's purpose.

https://virtualdj.com/img/409121/50960/Xone4Dmidi.jpg

Posted Tue 02 Jul 24 @ 11:46 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
1 & 2....
For any key (button, fader, knob etc) that is defined with the same name in both sides/deck, you can use the action action_deck to query the side/deck it was triggered from.
Example..
action_deck 1 ? deck 1 Action : action_deck 2 ? deck 2 Action : action_deck 3 ? deck 3 Action : deck 4 Action

3. Probably hardware leds, but can check if you tell me what is the name of the Key you get in Mapping when you press those buttons

4. Looks like the leds of the PFL buttons are not controlled by MIDI. I guess they turn on/off when pressing from the hardware, right ?

Posted Tue 02 Jul 24 @ 12:20 pm
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll check 1 & 2 when I'm back home.

3. Those buttons are mapped as BTN_BL_1 to 4, & BTN_BR_1 to 4. They all work as expected but the LEDs are always on - mapped as LED_BTN_Bx_x.

4. Nothing is shown by VDJ when pressing these buttons although they have an associated MIDI note. The LEDs illuminate when they're pressed on the controller.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 24 @ 1:05 pm
3. Can you try to map the LED_BTN_BL_1 key as .. blink .. and see if the led blinks ?
It should, at least based on the Mapping/Definition files we have here.
We dont have the device to check though.

btw, not sure but Allen & Heath is usually offering some function to change the MIDI channel of the device. Perhaps the device is not on the default Midi channel, i believe it's the last one available 16 ?

Posted Tue 02 Jul 24 @ 2:29 pm
Thanks DJDad, you got me going on the right path.

Changing MIDI channel to 16 got the LEDs working as expected & changing the deck order to 3,1,2,4 in combination with this code got the jogwheels working independently:

device_side 'left' ? deck left jogwheel : deck right jogwheel

I'd still like to know why the jogwheels & their buttons aren't mapped for left & right like all the other controls but hey ho it's working how I want it for now, so thanks again.

Posted Wed 03 Jul 24 @ 7:34 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I don't want to quote the post and make the thread harder to read, but I miss the days when HW makers just published clear midi explainers/tables.

Posted Wed 03 Jul 24 @ 8:52 pm
DJPhallus wrote :
....in combination with this code got the jogwheels working independently:

I got confused hehe.
With the default action jogwheel, the JOGs should work independently.
What is the behavior you get for the Jogs when assigned with the default action ?

Posted Wed 03 Jul 24 @ 10:32 pm
With the default mapping the jogwheels only work on decks 1 & 2 regardless of whether decks 3/4 are selected as leftdeck/rightdeck. This assumes the Xone 4D deck order is 3,1,2,4. Leaving it as 1,2,3,4 was my original mistake.

Posted Fri 05 Jul 24 @ 12:21 pm
Reading the Mapping files, i see the Xone4D offering 2 Hardware layers, meaning that most of the MIDI mappable knobs, faders, jogs, buttons offering a second Layer (MIDI) which is probably used from VirtualDJ to control Decks 3 and 4.

Here is what i read from the Manual ..

If this ^ works and you can easily access the 2nd MIDI layer, perhaps there is no need to map the JOG like that (along with other keys too).
Example ... JOGS are defined like this ...
<jog cc="0x25" name="JOG" channel="15" deck="1" />  <!-- 1st Layer -->
<jog cc="0x25" name="JOG" channel="14" deck="3" /> <!-- 2nd Layer -->

<jog cc="0x2D" name="JOG" channel="15" deck="2" /> <!-- 1st Layer -->
<jog cc="0x2D" name="JOG" channel="14" deck="4" /> <!--2nd Layer -->

when device is set to MIDI default MIDI channel 16 (channel="15" for VDJ), the JOGs send the above MIDI messages on channel 15, so the JOGS work for deck="1" and deck="2" respectively.
When you enable the 2nd layer (MIDI SHIFT MODE), the Midi channel is now 15 (14 for VDJ) so you should get the JOGS working for deck="3" and deck="4"

what i am not sure about is if the MIDI SHIFT MODE can be toggled per side or is a global one. Most likely it's a global one, so both sides toggle between primary and secondary layers, so not very intuitive ir useful and you may end up re-mapping some Keys like you did above.

But again, that's all in theory, because we currently dont own one to test and the official mapping was done way long ago without having any other notes in our database.

Posted Fri 05 Jul 24 @ 1:24 pm