Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Custom controller hid definition, how to?
Hello. I use a Korg NaniKontrol2 for the sampler. In VDJ8 I used midi configuration, but in VDJ2024 it is already predefined as hid.
I want to change the value range of the 8 knob, from 0-127 (steps) to just 12 steps. Min 0 max 12.
This can be done with software from Korg while in midi-mode, but how can it be done in the hid definition file?
Can I edit existing hid definition file or do I need to do a full custom definition?
When I search custom definition it seems to always refer to VDJ8...

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 5:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What do you need it for?
It's probably easier to get the result you want changing the mapping, rather than creating your own definition.

Creating a custom definition didn't change, so you can still do that, and you could choose between midi and hid as you prefer.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 5:50 am
Even that I have configured the nanoKontrol2 to run in midi-mode it still shows up as a hid device in VDJ,
and get the default definitions. So I think midi is not an option anymore.

I'm used to have the knob configured for sample loop length, so I can use it for buildups.
My samples are musicloops, drumsloops & acapellaloops.
When you turn the knob with 127 positions, it is way too sensitive.
I've been trying to "script away" the sensivity for weeks now. Seems impossible.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 5:26 pm
1) Korg NanoKontrol2 is a MIDI device. Not HID.

2) You can adjust "sensitivity" by multiplying the value of the knob before calling your action: param_multiply 0.1 & level

3) VirtualDJ does not switch the device to "HID" mode, as the device does not have a HID interface.
However, VirtualDJ will try to force specific MIDI operation in order to ensure proper MIDI support and integration. This means that the changes you do with the Korg MIDI software are ignored.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 8:46 pm
Ok, thanks! I get it now.
It is running in MIDI-mode and the definition has been setup by VDJ and can not be edited.
Then I have to write my own definition file. I'll give it a try.

Seems the Slider element has those min and max I'm looking for.

Sliders. A slider is defined by a <slider> element, with the following properties:
cc - the MIDI cc
ccmsb - (optional) the MIDI cc of the MSB (for 14-bit MIDI)
min - (optional) value corresponding to 0% (default 0)
max - (optional) value corresponding to 100% (default 0x7F)

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 9:27 pm