Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Turn on blink on pad
Hello, on my mc4000 I've remapped PAD1 with this script:
stem_pad 'Vocal'

Now what I can't find a way to start blinking the pad on controller.
Also I need help to switch off blinking on deactivate the effect.

Anyone can help me please??

Thanks!
Gianluca

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 12:45 pm
The quick answer is one needs to edit the padpage's XML file, to add a query element to line for pad 1.
( with an external editor like notepad++)

the query in this case (to blink when Vocal Stems are remove) would be:

query="stem_pad 'Vocal' ? off : blink 300ms"

and the entire line the padpage's "pad 1", in the notepad++ editor,would be something like:

<pad1 color="color &apos;red&apos;" query="stem_pad &apos;Vocal&apos; ? off : blink 300ms" name="Vocal">stem_pad &apos;Vocal&apos;</pad1>

for an other example look at the "Saved Loops" padpage, which has blinking pads, (with notepad++).

hope that helps and not creates more questions.

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 1:47 pm
Also other tips:

1) Auto-dim [ X ]

2) one needs to restart VDJ for, VDJ to read/load the new saved padpage after one edits the xml file.

3) the padpage xml files are in the VDJ Homefolder > Pads

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 1:54 pm
OOK, thank you very much!, I will check your tips

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 5:41 pm
unluky didn't work.
Probably 'cause I have to program also the LED_PAD1 part.
And now this is the current script mapping for the LED_PAD1:

<map value="LED_PAD1" action="var &apos;MCmodebutton&apos; ? var &apos;MCmode&apos; 0 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 3 ? loop_roll 0.125 ? blink 300ms ? constant 0.1 : constant 0.9 : constant 0.9 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 2 ? cue_loop 1 ? constant 0.5 : constant 0.1 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 1 ? hot_cue 5 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : hot_cue 1 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1" />

As I undestand, led_pad change based on state of MCmode var, but I can't understand how....

Finally this is what i've done :

<map value="PAD1" action="var &apos;MCmodebutton&apos; ? set &apos;MCmode&apos; 0 &amp; pad_page &apos;hotcues&apos; : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 3 &amp; pad_page &apos;Stems+fx&apos; ? stem_pad &apos;vocal&apos; : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 2 ? loop_roll 0.125 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 2 ? cue_loop 1 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 1 ? hot_cue 5 : hot_cue 1" />

This works: if the is selected the stem+fx page, PAD1 activate the stem_pad 'vocal'

<map value="LED_PAD1" action="var &apos;MCmodebutton&apos; ? var &apos;MCmode&apos; 0 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 3 ? stem_pad &apos;vocal&apos; ? blink 300ms ? constant 0.1 : constant 0.9 : constant 0.9 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 2 ? cue_loop 1 ? constant 0.5 : constant 0.1 : var &apos;MCmode&apos; 1 ? hot_cue 5 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : hot_cue 1 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1" />

This don't work anymore... the led pad will remain off nor blinking.

May be it's a controller related? My is a denon mc4000

Any suggest??

Posted Sun 23 Jun 24 @ 3:39 pm
Have read in detail all that you have done, as that is not how best to add the blinking to a pad, on your controller.

Overview.
1) Use the default mapping for controller.
(so LED of pads are controlled by the software pad pages)

2) Open the Pad Editor, add the script for the pad. (Pad 1, in this case)

3) Close VDJ .. open the padpage.xml (with newly add/modified script) with notepad++ and add the query element to the line for Pad 1.

Note: the line should look close to that posted earlier above, for pad 1, when using notepad++.

<pad1 color="color &apos;red&apos;" query="stem_pad 'Vocal' ? off : blink 300ms" name="Vocal">stem_pad &apos;Vocal&apos;</pad1>

(maybe try and paste this for the pad1 line in the xml, ....save, and open VDJ and see if it is close to what you want)

the padpage will now control the controllers LED.

If one changes the mapping for the LED_PAD1 then it will interfere with all the other padpages, one may wish to use, hotcues, saved loops, sampler etc,
Allow the padpage to control the LEDs of the Pads, NOT scripting them directly.

as mentioned check the padpage "Saved Loops" (with notepad++) as that is an example of how to create a blinking pad.

again hope these tips help

Posted Sun 23 Jun 24 @ 4:38 pm
One can also buy locodog a beer, (for his amazing talents), and have the padpad created for you, as you like.

(DM LocoDog, to discuss if you choose.)

Posted Sun 23 Jun 24 @ 4:56 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Have read in detail all that you have done, as that is not how best to add the blinking to a pad, on your controller.

Overview.
1) Use the default mapping for controller.
(so LED of pads are controlled by the software pad pages)

2) Open the Pad Editor, add the script for the pad. (Pad 1, in this case)

3) Close VDJ .. open the padpage.xml (with newly add/modified script) with notepad++ and add the query element to the line for Pad 1.

Note: the line should look close to that posted earlier above, for pad 1, when using notepad++.

<pad1 color="color 'red'" query="stem_pad 'Vocal' ? off : blink 300ms" name="Vocal">stem_pad 'Vocal'</pad1>

(maybe try and paste this for the pad1 line in the xml, ....save, and open VDJ and see if it is close to what you want)

the padpage will now control the controllers LED.

If one changes the mapping for the LED_PAD1 then it will interfere with all the other padpages, one may wish to use, hotcues, saved loops, sampler etc,
Allow the padpage to control the LEDs of the Pads, NOT scripting them directly.

as mentioned check the padpage "Saved Loops" (with notepad++) as that is an example of how to create a blinking pad.

again hope these tips help

Thanks again for your suggest.
What is strange is that the mapping I've posted come from "factory default" for my controller, I added only the stem_pad part where I guess there must be putted.
I don't understand why they didn't choose to let the pad to control the led as you suggest...

ok, i will try to let this stuff work, in a way or another....
In Italian sound like "I don't understand but I adapt"...

Posted Mon 24 Jun 24 @ 9:56 am
1) One should be adding the query to the stems padpage xml, found in the homefolder > Pads.
(replace by pasting the above line for pad1, where pad1 is now, in the stems padpage xml, save the changes)

2) The controllers mapping should be the default mapping, to allow the pad and pad's led to be controlled from the stems padpage which you have just created.

you maybe making it more difficult then it is... and feel you are very close to getting it to work !

its only the 1 step of modifying the "stems padpage" (adding the query element) to pad1 with notepad++.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 24 @ 2:20 pm
Hello, come back to this topic...
unlucky after various experimentation I got no result.
To understand well my problem I post here factory PAD1 and LED_PAD1 config that I try to use to remap stems (vocal for example).
PAD1
var 'MCmodebutton' ? set 'MCmode' 0 & pad_page 'hotcues' : var 'MCmode' 3 ? loop_roll 0.125 : var 'MCmode' 2 ? cue_loop 1 : var 'MCmode' 1 ? hot_cue 5 : hot_cue 1

LED_PAD1
var 'MCmodebutton' ? var 'MCmode' 0 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : var 'MCmode' 3 ? loop_roll 0.125 ? blink 300ms ? constant 0.1 : constant 0.9 : constant 0.9 : var 'MCmode' 2 ? cue_loop 1 ? constant 0.5 : constant 0.1 : var 'MCmode' 1 ? hot_cue 5 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : hot_cue 1 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1

Ok, if I modify PAD1 cfg like this:
var 'MCmodebutton' ? set 'MCmode' 0 & pad_page 'hotcues' : var 'MCmode' 3  & pad_page 'Stems+fx' ? stem_pad 'vocal' : var 'MCmode' 2 ? loop_roll 0.125 : var 'MCmode' 2 ? cue_loop 1 : var 'MCmode' 1 ? hot_cue 5 : hot_cue 1

vocal stem it's work, I mean I press the controller pad1 and stem is going to be active.

LED_PAD1
var 'MCmodebutton' ? var 'MCmode' 0 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : var 'MCmode' 3 ? stem_pad 'vocal' ? blink 300ms ? constant 0.1 : constant 0.9 : constant 0.9 : var 'MCmode' 2 ? cue_loop 1 ? constant 0.5 : constant 0.1 : var 'MCmode' 1 ? hot_cue 5 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1 : hot_cue 1 ? constant 0.2 : constant 0.1

Don't work anymore, I mean it's work as usual but not blink for the stem that it's active.

My controller is a denon MC4000.

Any advice????

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 4:51 pm
Also, I am so frustrated to try to use debug verb/command to check variables/constant the configuration set!!!!

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 4:54 pm