Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Is those specs any good for a laptop?
I have used a NUC for a long time and consider change to a laptop.
I have found a good priced Lenovo LOQ15

i5-12450H
RTX4060
It comes with Win11 but I will probably install Win10 pro

What do you think?

Posted Wed 29 May 24 @ 8:33 pm
the specs look fine to me but when it comes to latency you never know till you test these days

also i wouldn't mess with changing the OS unless it gives you problems

Posted Wed 29 May 24 @ 8:54 pm
Yes I agree.
The latency is unknown and can’t really see a way to know in advance.

Regarding OS I always thought win10 was the preferred over win11

Posted Wed 29 May 24 @ 9:11 pm
There are sites which list laptops that have been tested and are recommended for audio use.

IMO if the computer comes with a particular OS installed then that's the one which should be used. There's no guarantee that older OS will work correctly on new hardware.

I'm using Windows 11 here on two computers, for extensive audio and video work (DJing, streaming, production) without issue.

Posted Wed 29 May 24 @ 9:17 pm
I bought it and now going through the pain of trying to optimize it.
Of course it was peaking in the LatencyMon measurements so obviously this is a process that needs to be done.
ACPI.sys was peaking and also WDF01000.sys

Posted Thu 30 May 24 @ 6:34 pm
i would start with bios update and drivers updates

Posted Thu 30 May 24 @ 6:54 pm
For ACPI install and activate the ultimate performance power plan if not there already and also ParkControl to stop CPU cores going to sleep.

That should make a difference.

Posted Thu 30 May 24 @ 6:56 pm
Thanks. Will have a look.

Wicked, bios is updated and I will go through drivers.
Also disable stuff that is of no interest like camera, bluetooth and such.

Posted Thu 30 May 24 @ 8:03 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Most important though, see if you actually have any latency issues/drop-outs.

Posted Fri 31 May 24 @ 5:45 am
Thanks Adion. Do you mean even if DPC can peak from time to time, does not mean audio vill be affected due to buffer size and so on?

Posted Fri 31 May 24 @ 6:54 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, it will further also depend on the specific device and the way the drivers for that device are written how much it will be affected.
Also check the actual numbers LatencyMon reports, since it has a quite strict definition for real-time audio which may be important in a recording studio where cpu use may be higher due to the number of channels required, and latency may need to be lower due to input-output routing.
For DJ use 5ms latency is fine for most uses though, and cpu use is typically fairly low.

Posted Fri 31 May 24 @ 7:23 am
As discussed in another thread a few weeks ago, having spikes on LatencyMon does not necessarily mean problems with audio.
LatencyMon is a tool that helps you diagnose and fix a system that HAS issues in the first place.
If a system has no issues, the spikes on LatencyMon are irrelevant.

As discussed in another thread, I was using a system for several years, with multiple/several controllers, without any latency issues, that would systematically produce a high spike every 30 seconds or so.

So yes, don't chase ghosts if you don't have any problems.

Posted Fri 31 May 24 @ 12:22 pm
Thanks guys for valuable insight to this. I thought that a too long process would directly punish the audio.

Posted Fri 31 May 24 @ 12:54 pm
Now I have gone through everything I know from disabling unnecessary drivers in device manager and activated the highest performance power plan.
Also, thanks to advice here, added Parkcontrol to stop cores to park.

Despite of this I still get some peaks from mostly WDF01000.SYS up to 2mS as worst.
ACPI.SYS seems to be under control and below 600uS.

It seems also with an ASIO buffer setting at 128 samples at 44.1kHz there are no audible pops and clicks.
This tell me there are some margin to my regular setting at 512 samples.

But even with the above results, the beatgrid / trackwave in VDJ stutters.
This never happened before with my NUC systems with far less processing power.
The skin FPS is set to 60 and this generated a very smooth wave with NUC system.
Tried 120 FPS but does not give a difference.
Should I try to use the same number as the vertical refreshrate of the screen?

Is CPU or GPU better to use for skin rendering in VDJ?
I tried briefly with using GPU as the preferred processor in VDJ but could not see a difference.

Finally, and what seems most problematic, is that I could get VDJ to ”slow down” the playing track for some second or two. But still the CPU meter was not giving any indication.

Posted Sun 02 Jun 24 @ 8:26 am
Doing some more work on this.

When I was looking into display settings, I saw two displays and when "identifying" I could see the laptop screen was numbered as 2.
Since I only have one screen (the internal) I disabled the other screen. This seems to have solved the peaks and the skin stuttering. Been running the system for two hours with LatencyMon, and there are good numbers there.

Posted Sun 02 Jun 24 @ 12:36 pm