Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: v2024 differences question for the devs
Hello to the VDJ Devs that are hopefully reading this.

I'm developing a third-party application that writes playlist files for Virtual DJ.

Up until v2024 I've written M3U playlists in the "Playlists" folder, but now in v2024 I write vdjfolder playlists in the "MyLists" folder.

My question is if there is some way to detect which version of VDJ the user has installed on both Windows and Mac so I can write the appropriate file in the appropriate place. My first thought was checking for the presence of the "MyLists" folder, but this turns out to be unreliable because if the user is using v2024 and simply has not saved any playlists, this folder will not exist and I will have falsely detected a V2023 or earlier version.

Is there a file or folder that always exists in v2024 that did not exist in previous versions? Checking the VDJ executable or binary for version information is not ideal as my application will rightly not have permissions to read the Applications or Program Files folder.

Thanks for your time.

Posted Sun 26 May 24 @ 6:10 am
Probably several ways, but one way could be to open settings.xml in VirtualDJ's document directory, and look at <lastUsedBuild>

Posted Sun 26 May 24 @ 11:56 am
very cool method... Rune...
so that means that the script to determine if the user is using, VDJ2024, is:

param_bigger 7999 `setting 'lastUsedBuild'` ? VDJ 2024 : VDJ 2023

since VDJ 2024, is any build 8000 or greater.

Posted Sun 26 May 24 @ 12:26 pm
Great! Thanks!

Posted Sun 26 May 24 @ 2:22 pm