Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Copilot AI ARM64 upcoming laptop on Windows 11 - Page: 2
olivier REMUX wrote :
yes, actually only M1 M2 M3 can do great stems without FAN GPU external GPU or PC gamer. and for less money than a Windows PC gamer.
A decent PC laptop with a good RTX (so not a 2050 or 3050) will start around $900, same as a macbook air, but will be MUCH faster than the macbook air for AI.
Just saying...

Posted Thu 23 May 24 @ 6:34 pm
Stephane Clavel wrote :
olivier REMUX wrote :
yes, actually only M1 M2 M3 can do great stems without FAN GPU external GPU or PC gamer. and for less money than a Windows PC gamer.
A decent PC laptop with a good RTX (so not a 2050 or 3050) will start around $900, same as a macbook air, but will be MUCH faster than the macbook air for AI.
Just saying...

However, the MAC doesn't need an additional GPU :) all is on M1/M2/M3/M4 and have better energy management. don't need RTX or other... more simple
More robust and

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 7:34 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
same money and slower for stems, you're not really selling it olivier.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 8:15 am
I've tried Macs several times over the years, last time being a M2 Max. It ran stems at 23.5% speed however I now have a RTX4080 laptop that was cheaper than the mac and runs them at 41x.

They are slower than RTX and there are a host of issues with MacOS I couldn't live with. Multiple monitor support for one is dreadful.

As someone who has used PCs for DJ work since 1999, I would always use Windows over Mac for so many reasons.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 8:47 am
kradcliffe wrote :

Multiple monitor support for one is dreadful.

Unless you are using like 3 or more monitors I thought multi-monitor is pretty decent in the MacOS world. They did regress on this when they initially introduced the arm-based M-series Macs (it only really supported maximum 1 external monitor) but from M2 Pro onwards it supports up to two monitors just as before.

kradcliffe wrote :

...there are a host of issues with MacOS I couldn't live with.
As someone who has used PCs for DJ work since 1999, I would always use Windows over Mac for so many reasons.

It would be nice if you elaborated on this. Tbh I've used both platforms for DJing over the years, and I found there could be far more work in getting the Windows machine working correctly - choosing the right machine with specs (archictecture and other low levels being considered), decluttering of unnecessary apps, power management and other OS level optimizations, required additional drivers for pretty much all controllers. In the Mac world, the average machine (in at least the last 10-15 years especially) pretty much works out of the box with almost no thought on these considerations. I know Windows systems can be tuned more precisely to work even better than Macs, but that's extra time that most DJs would most likely want to spend elsewhere.

(I'm also a bit biased to UNIX systems, since that is what I live in for development).

I do appreciate both platforms - they both can get the job done.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 11:32 am
To all: Please don't turn this into a Mac vs PC thread.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 12:14 pm
I don't know if I want to set this thread on fire (and then lock it) or not.
However, I will throw this into the mix:
"Try to connect and use a touch screen to a MAC"

Also,
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
I've used both platforms for DJing over the years, and I found there could be far more work in getting the Windows machine working correctly ... required additional drivers for pretty much all controllers. In the Mac world, the average machine (in at least the last 10-15 years especially) pretty much works out of the box with almost no thought on these considerations.

That's as far from reality as it gets. Because in the last 10 years almost ALL controllers require their special MAC OS drivers to work.
Also during some transition phases of MAC OS the last years, the driver should be different, the exact same way that in Windows there's a different driver for Win XP, different for Win 7, and different for Win 8 onwards - for devices that support that many OS versions.

My point is NOT to start a PC vs MAC debate, nor to set the thread on fire.
However MACs DO HAVE their weaknesses too. They are NOT the "perfect" solution some users claim them to be.

I have nothing against MACs. I use both platforms, and I recognize that BOTH have their weak and strong points. :)

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 1:25 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

That's as far from reality as it gets. Because in the last 10 years almost ALL controllers require their special MAC OS drivers to work.

It's not really a severe stretch of the truth, but just maybe not worded in the best way....I'm bringing the focus not only to the actual software required to interface with the hardware but what an end user has to do to get that software on the machine to start working with the hardware.
I live mostly in the battle mixer world - from the perspective of the device user and firmware updates aside, besides a DJM S9 and DJM S11 (which requires the user to explicitly install drivers across the board), I've owned the Kontrol Z2 and used a Rane Seventy Two and Reloop Elite - besides perhaps sometime their configuration software (which I guess could be argued is a device driver install in a sense), I don't remember having an explicit driver install for any of those. On Windows (via friends) that wasn't the case - there potentially was such an install required for all cases.

PhantomDeejay wrote :

Also during some transition phases of MAC OS the last years, the driver should be different, the exact same way that in Windows there's a different driver for Win XP, different for Win 7, and different for Win 8 onwards - for devices that support that many OS versions.

This is true, however t I haven't noticed that for at least the last 3 releases or so for my S9.

With respect to touch screen usage, that feels useful but very niche (I could be wrong)...I don't really have friends who are DJs who are big in that, but that is just my circle.
I actually have nothing against Windows at all...I use it daily too... it's just from what I've experienced (personally), there were more variables to take into account before having a machine ready for the job, but you got that worked out (with whatever tweaks required), it works very very well, equal to or even better than a Mac.

I'm just pointing out that the end experience/ergonomics matters as much as the capabilities, especially when you are catering to customers who most likely aren't as tech savvy.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 2:34 pm
So back to topic. Will these mobile chips (which are the equivalent of M1, M2 etc.) be supported by VDJ as they are going on sale now?

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 2:55 pm