Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Tutorial: How to store ALL your Playlists (Lists) on an external drive.
seanPRO InfinityMember since 2018
In VDJ 2024 they released "Lists" an updated version of Playlists. They're stored in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ\MyLists. I wanted to store all of my Lists on a secondary drive I:\

You can right-click on a List and uncheck "Disable HotPlug" which will place the List on the drive where the music is located, for example I:\VirtualDJ\MyLists. But this has one major flaw, if you create a Filter list that file doesn't technically contain any music so it won't be placed on the external drive.

I figured out a work around to ensure all Lists are stored on I:\ first copy all of your Lists/Filters from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ\MyLists to I:\VirtualDJ\MyLists, then favorite I:\VirtualDJ\MyLists by navigating to it in "Local Music.... Drives.... I:\". Hide the default "MyLists" and only make edits to Lists under this newly favorited item and you'll find they get created on this external drive.

For anyone thinking of other ways to achieve the same thing, here's other things I tried:
I was tempted to just copy all of my Lists to I:\MyLists\ (outside of any VirtualDJ folder) but if you do this Virtual DJ doesn't really know they exist so when you use "search_playlists" a command which shows you all of the playlists a song exists inside of, it doesn't know these songs exist in these Lists.

I considered symlinking C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ\MyLists to I:\ but this could cause problems with upgrades or when I copy paste my VDJ folder to my backup computer I'd have to recreate the symlink.

I considered using Cloud Drive (because my secondary drive is actually cloud storage) but it doesn't quite meet my needs yet, files aren't downloaded to the other computer they're streamed when loaded into a deck or manually dragged to a playlist. I wanted to automate this process so everything was automatically synced. Plus I wanted to use iDrive which isn't supported.

Posted Sun 12 May 24 @ 6:32 pm