Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can you DELAY the master output? - Page: 1
Hi all! I'm using video and visual effects which go through external software (on a separate PC) before being output to HDMI. Got some amazing effects, but as a result of all the processing there is a slight delay.
Is there anyway I can delay the MASTER audio output slightly so it syncs with the video/sound triggered effects?

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:10 pm
If your audio setup includes a "Master" output, then you could use any "Delay" VST effect you wish on master output. Just make sure (for most effects) that you set Dry/Wet on 100% "wet" (delayed) signal.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:12 pm

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:18 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
setting videoDelay, give it a negative number is another way. [depends on your mixing type if it would work]

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:44 pm
Thanks!
One of the problems I have is that the delay on Master Out is replicated on the Booth Out too; not really useable in that case..

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:44 pm
Locodog: The video output from VDJ is used as a video input for the second pc where its used in OBS. Delaying the video would not work for the other audio triggered effects (Synesthesia) in OBS.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:47 pm
I'm thinking the only way is probably a hardware box between Controller main XLRs and amps...

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 12:51 pm
Use a delay on the final audio output source in OBS to compensate for the discrepancy with the video (hopefully that also delays the effect in OBS too given you are using the effect in OBS itself and the effect is based on the audio input/output). You'll have to manually figure out how much delay you need.

You shouldn't need a delay I think on the video (normally the audio output is faster than your video capture card processing), but if necessary, you can put a delay on the video capture source too.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 1:07 pm
I dont think I explained well enough... I am outputting the audio directly from my flx10 controller to the club sound system from my laptop. On a separate pc I am running the visuals; capturing the hdmi output of laptop for an OBS input and also running Synesthesia on the same PC. I get the audio into the pc using the second USB connection on the flx10(record out).
The club audio is never routed through the visuals PC, but is obviously ahead of the visual element on the club tvs...
The suggestion of the delay VST for VDJ seemed the best solution, but I need it to only delay the MASTER output, not the BOOTH as well...

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 3:16 pm
Booth and headphones need to have NO delay...

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 3:18 pm

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 4:10 pm
That would do the trick... although I suspect a balanced version would be silly money

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 6:21 pm
VDJ Rob G wrote :
Booth and headphones need to have NO delay...

I agree with this...I think we are saying to put a delay on the OBS sources (video, audio output) regardless of the raw master and booth output.

I guess we should have asked for more details on your setup. If you have a two laptop setup with you controller output probably going going to a mixer plugged into the streaming laptop, your booth should be free for room play to match what is expected as master output. The master output would be routed to the central mixer connected via USB to the stream laptop (also possible to play undelayed to the room if necessary). These delays we are suggesting are only being injected into your stream sources to make the audio match the visuals.
Synesthesia looks like a software visualizer - I'm not sure how you are hooking it into the whole thing too, but it should be possible to set it up to show what you want correctly (either following the raw or delayed signal)
I use a pretty simple visualizer (
Waveform) for
streams, but it is shown on the stream and includes the delayed audio (slowed down to match the video output). What plays out in the room though is the raw booth signal (undelayed), and I can tap the master output from the mixer that gives USB audio data to the stream laptop (the master is undelayed too).

I think I'm saying that it should be possible to achieve what you want without having to buy new hardware to do it.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 6:58 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
VDJ Rob G wrote :
That would do the trick... although I suspect a balanced version would be silly money

I got my Drive Rack PA2 2nd hand for 30 quid [the long long ago of 2017], quick look around these days going rate is about £250 2nd hand, or you can take your chances with same price new... from Ali Express.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 24 @ 11:06 pm

DJ VinylTouch:
This is my portable setup. The second PC is connected to the controller so it can access the audio directly for triggering visuals and DMX. The PC is not part of the main audio path.
However, I do have redundancy for VDJ if the laptop crashes, as I can just switch from A to B USB on the controller.

Locodog:
That DriveRack PA2 looks like an awesome piece of kit!! I will have to try to get access to the club's amp room as they may have something like that set up already. I don't really want to invert £400ish for a new one, and it won't really fit easily into my setup. Maybe an unbalanced box, sacrificing quality for delay, is the answer..

Posted Sat 27 Apr 24 @ 11:32 am
My setup in the flesh..

Posted Sat 27 Apr 24 @ 11:57 am
Well, it was a steep learning curve but I have managed to find a solution!

Thanks to Locodog and the VOXENGO SOUND DELAY vst suggestion; unfortunately it would not work as expected directly in VDJ as it affected the booth output also.

I happened to have an old Scarlett 8i6 lying around which I connected up to the main outs on the controller. Then I downloaded Cantabile Lite and used the VST to delay the signal, outputting back to 8i6...
Overkill for just delay, but it opens up a whole new universe of DAWs and VSTs!

Thinking about it, I wonder if I could just configure a second master in VDJ audio outputs and ditch some more cabling!!! hmmm... that's tomorrows test sorted!

So, if anyone needs a solution to requiring delay on the master output only:
separate soundcard (preferably balanced in/out), using Cantabile Lite (free) to run any VST you want!

Posted Sun 28 Apr 24 @ 10:24 pm
How much delay did it need in the end?

Posted Sun 28 Apr 24 @ 11:20 pm
VDJ Rob G wrote :

So, if anyone needs a solution to requiring delay on the master output only:
separate soundcard (preferably balanced in/out), using Cantabile Lite (free) to run any VST you want!

Or (for Windows at least) use VoiceMeeter Banana/Potato. You can also use Virtual Audio Cable at the same time.
Finally run your VST on "Light Host" and you're done!

Bonus functionality: You can send the audio on another PC on the same network almost in realtime via LAN.

Posted Mon 29 Apr 24 @ 9:52 am
GroovinDJ: for my setup at home the audio delay was 230ms, with Synesthesia delayed in OBS for 70ms to match the videocapture from VDJ.
I will have to adjust the main audio output delay some more when I setup at the venues with each being slightly different, but that's easily done with 1 slider.

PhantomDeejay:
I couldn't use virtual cable/software because the master out has the same output as booth. I think its a flx10 driver thing.
I also extract the audio directly from the flx10 as the second pc is also connected to controller.
I do use a direct ethernet cable between the two forthe OS2L timing forDMX though.

Posted Mon 29 Apr 24 @ 10:08 am
91%