Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: An Amazing VDJ 2024 Dedicated Mapper Editor
Would love a full screen (or resizable) Mapper Editor.

Waited to ask... till 2024 got rolled out.. and so looking forward to all the amazing features.

I am currently continuing to use VDJ 2023 just for it Mapping Editor..
I find scripting ease, and speed have decreased, with increased errors, thus again, leading to further decrease in speed and ease of use, with the VDJ 2024 Mapping Editor.

1) The "Action" area to enter scripts is too... small, currently it is NOT possible to easily copy a script snippet, since one cannot see the entire snippet to select for the copy function, using the RED/GREEN highlighting to know the start and end of the copy.

2) And similarly the logic of longer scripts cannot be confirmed with the RED/GREEN highlighting, since one cannot hover over the "QUERY ?" portion of the script and see both the GREEN and RED portions...
(not a way to scroll down while the highlighting remains, and not suggesting that is wanted, just saying that it's incredibly useful for checking the script syntax, and is not always possible now.. and especially, when one needs them MOST.. in these LONG scripts.)

3) The new feature in 7773:
"- show full key name and action in editor when hovering over the list in advanced mapper"

At first thought, I loved the concept.. but when after an accidental, hover, it returns the currently active script mapping to return to the TOP of the mapping (line 1 at top).
Typical, work flow is to make a mapping change, then to test, the process to move the mouse, left, from the "Action" window to the skins (to test)... say... the skins, play button, has to now be done VERY carefully navigating around the DEF List window (NOT to accidently hover over a Def)... else the script mapping is reset to the TOP of its mapping.
(at times re-finding the exact script location repeatedly in a long script.. is much more time consuming then the script edit itself. and especially if this needs to be repeated many times)

An analogy: Would be like notepad++ re-displaying a skin's xml script at line 1, each time the mouse leaves notepad++.
(actually worse, since notepad++ script lines are numbered, so one could in this case remember the line number to quickly return with some effort, (or search, in notepad++ ... note: search is not avail in mapping editor))

4) This is not a new change.. and is similar to above, in that the focus (the portion displayed) of the "Action" window changes during an auto-complete.
For example it the script snippet that I wish to change is now being displayed, and the edit is on the first line of the displayed script, (so one can see the logic of the snippet) once an auto-complete is suggested, (love auto-complete) the line that I am editing is NO longer at the top of the window, but near the bottom of the window.
This instantaneous jump has caused mistakes, and is also hard to follow.. since the location of typing has now changed from the TOP to the LAST LINE, of the "Action" window.
In most cases I need to scroll the typing location to the top of the window... to see that the logic is correct (using the RED/GREEN highlighting)

Summary:
Wish for a dedicated Full Screen Mapper Editor, in addition to the current great, Quick Preview Mapping Editor.

So wish to not be stuck with VDJ 2023.

PS
Allowing each of the windows in the current Quick Preview Mapping Editor, be RESIZABLE, would probably be another solution.
(and also maybe allowing for font resizing, in the editor, ... as in rest of VDJ)

PSS
Is there a workaround to enable notepad++ to recognize VDJ scripts, to enable the RED/GREEN logic ?
and use the
'
"
&
>
<
NOT
&apos;
&quot;
&amp;
&gt;
&lt;

Currently one edits as an XML file.. not as a, VDJ Mapper file, when using notepad++ .

Posted Sun 24 Mar 24 @ 8:38 pm