Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Freestyler or QLC+ for simple mobile rig/show?
I'm going to jump into the OS2L pool but I don't really have experience with either program.

I run a fairly straightforward light rig:
- A dozen uplights/washes that also run chases
- some derby/FX fixtures
No moving heads to worry about

My goal is to create some long sequences that I can touch a button and launch dance, chill/mood, all white, blackout, strobe, UV, and color themes using VDJ User buttons

Is there an a better software between the two for my case?

Posted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 2:36 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 12:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I can't offer an opinion either way, but I have worked with 6 users recently with this skin.

Users chose a range of lamping software, some midi, some OS2L.
I made this skin variation, it places action poi to make light show calls, both midi & os2l [just one button to pick between the 2]
It can be used for live input. And mapping to hardware is just a case out using script learn.
I also have the full mapping & definition file for iac driver[mac]/ loopmidi[windows]

4 banks of 64 buttons, and some goto buttons to navigate the track when placing poi. The popup window can be dropped on to any skin, [with some copy paste this side]

Posted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 12:40 pm
Djdad: thank you. I didn't realize Freestyler wasn't OS2L compliant. I guess that pushes me towards QLC+

Locodog: thank you. I've been trying to follow some of your posts on lighting in VDJ. So you're saying that I could trigger a software via MIDI if it's not OS2L supported?

I currently run a Nicolaudie lighting interface, but I only have access to their super basic late 90s crap that's included (Easyshow V1, Daslight V1, and Lumidesk).

I could upgrade to newer versions but none of their stuff supports OS2L and it's $$$ to get the newest versions so I just didn't think it was worth it.

Instead, I ordered a USB DMX interface that supports QLC+ and Freestyler, and that's why I posted.

Posted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 1:21 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
midi or os2l it can do both,
the poi it places cover both, which one it does is one button choice at run time.
live input is the same.

The guy I initially worked with wanted his options open, he tried 4 lamping softwares before he found one he liked, he went with a midi only one in the end.
His choice was down to the work flow of the SW and that it had a two note, bank of banks kind of set up, his one off variation has over 4000 inputs [64*64 + 128].

The general case I've done for other people was only 256 inputs[4*64], the first guy was really into lamping.

Posted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 1:40 pm