Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ Saving POIs etc to embed track tags
Am i correct in thinking that VDJ stores any custom track info (track markings like POIs or edits from the track editor) in its own database?

Is there any way to have VirtualDJ embed some key things into embedded metadata/tags as part of the audio file? I was thinking things like BPM, POI info etc?

I ask this as over the years i have moved between multiple computers, and on each occasion I've lost a good amount of this kind of info simply because they were stored in VDJs own separate database.

One example in my current setup is i have a Windows PC as a desktop at home where I do any prep, practising etc. Where all music sources files are stored in the cloud. I use a Macbook as my Portal mixing device. Before mixing i'd ensure i resync my music files, but then my POIs etc wont be there.

The VDJ Database is stored in a different place on each OS system, so not easily useable (and i probably wouldn't want to put it in a cloud syncing folder, for fear of it being corrupted as it may be written to "live" quite a lot.

So, is it at all possible to at least store some POI markers/instructions in a file itself?

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 11:14 am
I use an external drive or move the database along
Both works great
And I really don't want my DJ software to make changes to my audio files, unless I specifically ask it to

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 11:27 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
technically you could store cue points on a tag as a string to write an apoi.
but realistically with proper database import practices and house keeping you shouldn't need to.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 11:42 am
In my personal experience mixing databases between Windows and Mac doesn't work well, especially if you prep on windows, do a gig then copy the DB back to the prep machine. Also history files and playlists get messed up.

For syncing between two Windows machines I use Synchredible which allows you to select which VDJ files you do and don't want copied over and a Samsung T7 SSD which works flawlessly.

I gave up on trying to use Windows for prep then a Mac for my gig machine as there were too many problems.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 11:57 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
And I use Syncthing to sync between my Windows desktop and laptop. Just have to make sure I never have VDJ open on both at the same time. I synchronize the VDJ home folder (telling it to ignore a few folders and files), the VirtualDJ folder on my media drives, and the media files themselves.

It's important, as always, to make sure you have backups just in case. Synchronizing folders between machines is not a backup!

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 2:12 pm