Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Drop-outs on ASUS ROG Strix G17
DJJDonsPRO InfinityMember since 2022
I'm using a brand new ASUS ROG Strix G17: Ryzen9, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070, AMD Radeon(TM) 610M, 32GB RAM.
Controller: Roland DJ707M.
I fully disabled STEMS, I installed a clean Windows 11 version, I installed the Ultimate Performance power scheme of Windows to prevent cpu throttling, I gave the virtual DJ process the priority real time in task manager. I reinstalled all drivers recommended by ASUS for my system.

And, I still get drop-outs while performing.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm missing?

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:32 am
Try removing the Nvidia software just keep the driver.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 4:17 am
Incredible - all that (re)installing, and no mention of running a latency check or adjusting ASIO buffer size.

I think perhaps manufacturers need to write this stuff on the box in giant letters. Even then I suppose there's no guarantee people will do it.....

It's almost like buying a new car when your old one runs out of fuel. :-)

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 9:36 am
Thanks for the feedback.

@GroovinDJ: I can imagine that you have the feeling that you are repeating yourself. For hours I tried solutions that I found on other posts including a lot of suggestions coming from you.
I adjusted the ASIO buffer size to the maximum of 2048 samples, without any result. I used LatencyMon and applied it's suggestions. Do you recommend other tools?

I tested an older DJ controller, the Numark NV., on the same laptop with the same software and even more demanding options (like turning on the real-time Stems). It was a lot better. I didn't tested it for that long, so I'm not entirely sure, but doing the same tests with my Roland, gave drop-outs.
So I guess the title of my post is wrong, the problem is with my Roland DJ707M?

Any suggestions around that? You don't have to mention latest firmware or drivers. I did that already. I understand that the DJ707M is a much more complicated and therefore more demanding device than the NV. But the hardware combination I've got should work properly together with Virtual DJ?

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
So the results of LatencyMon were good?
Also definitely don't put VirtualDJ on realtime priority. This will most likely increase the risk of dropouts as parts of the system may not get enough priority anymore

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:14 pm
No, they start good but after a few minutes of using Virtual DJ it stated that 'Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio ...'. With the suggestion to disable CPU throttling and check for BIOS updates. Which I did.

So I best keep it at normal priority?

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:23 pm
When you saying "using VirtualDJ" is this with the 707 connected and using the 707 ASIO?

I would suggest starting by just running LatencyMon on its own. No VDJ, no 707.

If results are good, try next when running just VDJ (with onboard audio).

etc. etc.

Also, how do you have the 707 connected? Directly or via a hub? To what kind of port? Any other devices connected at the same time?

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:32 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Indeed best to leave VirtualDJ priority normal, and I also would keep disabling throttling as a last resort as it could increase temperature and thereby actually reduce performance as well.

It would be best to check in latencymon what exactly is causing the high latency.
On Dell sometimes Dell Assist used to be the issue, but other manufacturers may have similar software running in the background that might cause these spikes.
Also make sure to update NVidia drivers, as some NVidia drivers have also been known to cause these spikes.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:40 pm
It can be a nightmare to track down. I returned three gaming machines because no matter what I tried the latency was far too high.

Ended up with an Asus Zenbook Pro X16 i9 RTX4080 and it's fine, but I had to do a bit of cleaning up and messing with power management settings to get it there.

For gigs I just stick with my ancient Lenovo Yoga C940 and just precompile stems on the Asus.

Here's what I get now which is far better than it was out of the box.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:54 pm
LatencyMon is not in line with my experience. Sometimes I said my system is suitable when I clearly hear drop-outs using my DJ707M.
When using my Numark NV, it stated that my system is not suitable when it just runs smoothly.

When there is a problem, it is because of the DPC part. But don't really understand what that means. I tried to put down a lot of drivers on the system. But same result.

I connect my device directly to an onboard usb3.0 with no other devices connected at the same time.

What do you mean with update the NVidia driver? Just the latest version? Or an alternative version? I saw on the download page of NVidia that there is a Game Ready Driver an a Studio Driver.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 7:05 pm
You can use either type of driver. It doesn't make a difference with VDJ.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 7:07 pm
Thank you all for the advice.

After a lot of tweeking I find the right configuration that works for me. There is still a sporadic drop-out, but in my latest tests, I found it acceptable. A quick overview from what I did:

DJ707M has an internal mixer, which can be enabled or disabled via the onboard lcd display interface (scène settings --> mixer settings --> mode [Serato, Internal]). I enabled the internal mixer for my setup.

Next I disabled all internal sound devices that I don't need anymore. Via Windows Settings --> System --> Sound --> All sound devices --> Press the "don't allow" button for in my case:
* CUE OUTPUT (The internal mixer utilize the headphones output itself)
* AUX OUT
* AUX IN
* MASTER RECORD
* DECK(1 -> 4) AUDIO IN (Except for the channels where you want to utilise the external input)

In virtual DJ: in settings under audio, I removed all devices except for out: deck1 -> deck4 and for in: the "line in" for the channel whereof you want to utilise the external input)

In Windows device manager I disabled those drivers:
Audio Processing Objects (APO's)
- DolbyAPO SWC Device
- Realtek Audio Effects Component
- Realtek Audio Effects Component (INT)
Bluetooth
- MediaTek Bluetooth Adapter
Network adapters
- MediaTek Wi-Fi
- Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Software components
- AMD-Dynamic Audio Noise Supression
- AMD-UWP Version Control
- DolbyAPO Software Device (HSA)
- Realtek Asio Component
- Realtek Audio Universal Service
- Realtek Hardware Support Application
- Realtek OVWrap2 Component
Software devices
- NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework
Sound, video and game controllers
- Cirrus Logic Awesome Speaker Amps
- NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Suggestions to improve my setup, are welcome.

There is one thing that is still bothering me. When the controller is not connected to the pc, the external line inputs works like expected. They are routed to the dedicated mixer channel when the channel selector at the uperside of the controller is put to "line". But from the moment I connect the usb to the pc, the input channels are disconnected from the mixer, and routed to the ASIO INPUT devices. That is why I needed to keep the audio devices in the sound settings of windows and Virtual DJ. So that the recorded signal can be directed to Virtual DJ, who will just send it back to the right audio deck. Is there a way to directly route the inputs to the mixer like when it is in stand-alone mode?

Posted Wed 06 Mar 24 @ 9:21 pm
In my experience its the nvidia software.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 12:25 pm