Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Crossfader Curve, NI Kontrol Z2, S2 & Innofader
Hi,
First off, Im very impressed with VDJ and might end up buying if I can iron out a few kinks.
Any long term Traktor turntablist can see the attraction, mainly the feature set when buying VDJ outright Vs having to drop 1.5k on a new mixer!

So..

VDJ Default mapping working great for most functions I've tested, but cant get a satisfactory cross fader curve.
Ive tried the presets and many custom curve settings from various posts in this forum.

important to add that I have Innofader PNP2 fitted, This works perfectly with Traktor and vinyl. I've been scratching seriously for 25 years so I know how to set this up.

I've tried adjusting and hardware-recalibrating the fader at various cut-in settings and curves, and then applying custom curves in VDJ.

I've tried soft recalibration via traktor.

I get ok performance when doing chirps, flares & transforms but cannot crab ( I can do this perfectly well on all other setups).

There seems to be something I'm not getting right with the VDJ settings

The innofader always reads -0.03, and 1.03 at its extremes in the VDJ mapping - Before we jump on this fact, its also important to note that I'm also good at scratching on a controller and I seeing the EXACT same behaviour when plugging in the traktor S2 and attempting to set the curve, I can dial it in to a certain extent but never get a sweet cut-in, and crabs are virtually impossible when using VDJ software.

EDIT: the S2 reads -0.03 & 1.03 as well, stock fader, is this normal?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What am I missing? Excited to really get stuck in to VDJ but this is currently a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 9:51 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
What does the xf read when it's dead centre? It's a bit weird that it's out of range both sides.

Not that this will be entirely on topic but you can get quite adventurous with making your own custom crossfader curves [select custom in settings and plot the points in crossfaderCustom]

example case, over 12% either side it will cut in 3 times
0=[1,0]/0.025=[1,1]/0.05=[1,0]/0.075=[1,1]/0.1=[1,0]/0.125=[1,1]/0.875=[1,1]/0.9=[0,1]/0.925=[1,1]/0.095=[0,1]/0.975=[1,1]/1=[0,1]

how to read this

ACTUAL_XF_VAL=[HOW MUCH OF LEFT DECK ALLOWED THRU , HOW MUCH OF RIGHT DECK ALLOWED THRU]/NEXT_XF_VAL_TO_PLOT[... , ...]...

any in between values it plots a straight line to the next so
0=[1,0]/1=[0,1]
would be a straight X, it works out that at position 0.5 both sides would spit out 0.5 the full signal.

I've never run into over range both sides so am unsure how a custom plotted curve would handle < 0 and > 1, but a quick test just proved the outputs can handle weird values [like -1 and 2] so maybe it can handle weird xf readings too.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 10:46 am
Native Instruments controllers are all supported via HID.
This means that volume faders, crossfader e.t.c. are quite sensitive (more precision comes with more sensitivity)
For this reason, we have "cut off" a few values on both ends of the crossfader, to counteract any possible misplacements / misalignments of the crossfader on the actual board.

This does not change any of the desired behavior. It just explains why you see -0.03 and 1.03
TBH, these values show an almost perfect crossfader.
Mine is not that perfect (getting -0.02 instead)

For the rest of your post, I'm not an advanced scratch guy, and I don't know what crabbing is, so I can't help.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 10:47 am
perhaps try this as your crossfader mapping [in mapping window]

param_multiply 0.943396 & param_add 0.03 & crossfader

that might straighten it out.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 11:00 am
Thanks both @locodog and @phantomdeejay, I will try some further tweaks and report back.
Sounds like fader reading are fine and as expected.

I will try the param multiply thing, but should i also be trying to add in the -0.03 and 1.03, rather than 0 > 1, to the custom curve variable to truly get my positions right?

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 11:06 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

For the rest of your post, I'm not an advanced scratch guy, and I don't know what crabbing is, so I can't help.

Crabbing is the brushing of the fader with four fingers to get it to quickly bounce back and fourth over the cut in point. as you can imagine it requires precise positioning.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 11:08 am
user27851974 wrote :
...I will try the param multiply thing, but should i also be trying to add in the -0.03 and 1.03, rather than 0 > 1, to the custom curve variable to truly get my positions right?

It's one or the other, the crossfader script should straighten out the value to 0.0-1.0.
the custom curve will receive between 0.0-1.0

or you could leave the crossfader script as is and experiment plotting a curve to fix it

I'm not 100% this will work,because I can't test but it's an educated guess.
-0.03=[1,0]/0=[1,1]/1=[1,1]/1.03=[0,1]

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 11:43 am
locodog wrote :
user27851974 wrote :
...I will try the param multiply thing, but should i also be trying to add in the -0.03 and 1.03, rather than 0 > 1, to the custom curve variable to truly get my positions right?

It's one or the other, the crossfader script should straighten out the value to 0.0-1.0.
the custom curve will receive between 0.0-1.0

or you could leave the crossfader script as is and experiment plotting a curve to fix it

I'm not 100% this will work,because I can't test but it's an educated guess.
-0.03=[1,0]/0=[1,1]/1=[1,1]/1.03=[0,1]

OK so quick test, now im confident that my faders are OK. using the format above I'm getting better results
0=[1,0]/0.005=[1,1]/0.995=[1,1]/1=[0,1]

-0.03 & 1.03 don't seem to work well. I think locodog is correct that the script compensates and forces 0 to 1
I think with all the other scripts on the forums, the gap between position '1' and '2', then '3' and '4' is far too wide and is not what you would expect from a scratch fader curve.
I feel I could have been amending the values wrong at points as well, but I understand the script & value scale better now.

Cant wait to try this on the Z2. fingers crossed.
I will post my findings here for the record. Thanks all

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 12:38 pm
Gah. No. These same settings do not work on kontrol z2. Going to get some vids to illustrate.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 1:30 pm