Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Script help with a see-saw like low eq kill assigned to crossfader.
I can't find exactly what I need here in the forums.. Can someone PLEASE tell me the script I would need to put on my crossfader in order to have it, where once I move from one deck to the other, it gradually starts to remove the low eq from the starting deck all the way to 0 low eq when fader is completely away from that deck... left deck 100% - 0% right deck & left deck 0%-100% right deck... but keeps the opposite side decks low eq active, and automatically resets the for mentioned decks low eq, once it reaches 0 low eq, and/or if the crossfader is moved back to that original position fully. Kinda like a child's seesaw but with low end kill\fade out. I can't figure this one out unfortunately. I do dj screw style remixes, and when I use my slip brake/half speed affect, the bass is too loud when introducing the other deck on loop backs. Limiter kicks in and muddies up the sound. I'm using ''scratch'' crossfader. I'm also willing to try a custom crossfader curve that is identical to "scratch" while getting around the fact that the overall gain, when both decks played at the same time, are WAY louder compared to just one side of the deck playing alone. If you have a crossfader script that is the same as scratch but keep the volume the same level at all times, id try that as well. Thanks a bunch if you read this.

Posted Thu 29 Feb 24 @ 12:52 am
Try scripting this to your crossfader and let me know if I missed anything:

crossfader & eq_crossfader_low

Posted Thu 29 Feb 24 @ 6:35 am
Actually I re-read what you wrote and I think what you're looking for is this (or something similar at least):

crossfader & param_smaller 0.5 ? param_invert & param_add -0.5 & deck left eq_low : param_add -0.5 & deck right  eq_low

Please note that this presumes you are using frequency EQ's as it turns the low frequency knobs down as you move your crossfader.

I've never tried doing anything with the param stuff before and it took me about 30 minutes or so of trial and error, but it was a fun little challenge.

Posted Thu 29 Feb 24 @ 8:05 am
you rock, I'm about to try it now.
Update 1:

Issue 1. Somehow that script has totally messed with a tempo rest of sorts when i use this current script that i have assigned to 2 different pads.... effect_active "Halfspeed" & effect_active "slipbrake8" ...i use it to break the song, then on the other deck bring a loop back. When i hit the pad to do that brake effect, its audibly changing the tempo, which it never did before adding your trial script.

Issue 2. On the other hand, if that's resolved, i think this could work besides for.... once the crossfader hits the middle, it quickly lowers the bass on the opposite deck to 0, and slides it back up to normal as the crossfader goes all the way that side. I feel like you're really close.... i don't want that other decks low being cut until i do the same thing but on that deck, heading back to the other side with the fader. so that previous deck that got its bass lowered, would need to reset back to normal once i hit the opposite deck... sounds super confusing i know... thats why i gave up haha. Thank you for attempting this!

xXCpt_NemoXx wrote :
Actually I re-read what you wrote and I think what you're looking for is this (or something similar at least):

crossfader & param_smaller 0.5 ? param_invert & param_add -0.5 & deck left eq_low : param_add -0.5 & deck right  eq_low

Please note that this presumes you are using frequency EQ's as it turns the low frequency knobs down as you move your crossfader.

I've never tried doing anything with the param stuff before and it took me about 30 minutes or so of trial and error, but it was a fun little challenge.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 12:44 am
If its easier, i'm fine with just like 40% cut of the low end instead of a gradual decrease.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 1:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
crossfader & param_multiply 0.5 & deck right eq_low & param_multiply 2 & param_invert & param_multiply 0.5 & deck left eq_low

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 1:38 am
locodog wrote :
don't add -0.5, multiply by 0.5

This?...
crossfader & param_smaller 0.5 ? param_invert & param_multiply 0.5 & deck left eq_low : param_multiply 0.5 & deck right eq_low

nvm that aint it.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 1:43 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
check above, edited

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 1:44 am
locodog wrote :
crossfader & param_multiply 0.5 & deck right eq_low & param_multiply 2 & param_invert & param_multiply 0.5 & deck left eq_low

Na, this does work, but not how im speaking of. this ones doing almost the same thing as the 1st.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 1:50 am
Firstly, I have no idea how the script I wrote would affect the "pitch" (tempo as you put it) unless you are mapping the script to something that also has an action that will affect that. All my script does is control the crossfader and additionally change the low EQ values depending on the crossfader's value. If this is still an issue then perhaps sharing your controller make and model along with the entire script that you have and which control it is mapped to would be helpful.

In terms of your clarification of your request, I'm happy to revisit it when I have some more time, but I am unclear as to what you are looking for still. Could you please rephrase your description and instead of saying "opposite deck" and "all the way to that side" perhaps phrase it using which direction you are crossfading and what action happens on which EQ's and from where to where on the crossfader.

Example: "When the crossfader is all the way left I want the low EQ of deck 1 to to be in the middle and the low EQ of deck 2 completely lowered, but as I slide the crossfader to the right I want the low EQ of deck 1 to turn down and the low EQ of deck 2 to increase such that when the crossfader is centered the low EQ for deck 1 is completely down and the low EQ for deck two is in the middle. Then when I continue to fade from the center to the right I want..."

Cheers!

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 8:51 am