Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Repeatedly sorting the same filter folder when clicking to another then back
Hi,

I've noticed an issue with the sort function that has crept in the past few versions and I can't seem to make it stop.

I have a few filter folders set up for various conditions in my VDJ layout, like "First Seen Top 1000" to get the 1000 newest added tracks and "Play Count Top 2000" for the 2000 most played tracks.

I also have another filter folder aptly labeled "Everything" which uses the sort "Filename is not ...." which effectively grabs every single track in the search database. The trouble I'm currently having with this is that everytime I click on this particular filterfolder it is performing another sorting operation as indicated to the right of the search bar, and while the sort does effectively stay the same, the sort operation causes my cursor to lose it's position.

The position is important in my use case as I usually start off by telling it to sort by BPM then keycode so I can pick compatible tracks at the same speed on the fly.

The old behavior is that it would do the sort only when I asked it to change sort by clicking one of the tabs under the search bar, which means my cursor position wouldn't move and I could go between other filter folders or playlists and not worry about losing position.

I've noticed also that this seems to only be happening on unreasonably gigantic filter folders. A few thousand tracks it has no issue with, but the everything filter folder in my case is nearly 90,000 tracks, so that might be where the issue is stemming from. I know it's a lot of files to work with, but VDJ over the years has generally been really good about just handling it and not choking.

keepSortOrder is set to the default yes and doesn't seem to effect this (other carrying sort order between tabs if I turn it off, which is something I don't want anyways)

Posted Sun 25 Feb 24 @ 5:26 pm
After working with the software a few more times since my last post I've discovered that the issue can be mitigated if I'm quick: It will stop re-sorting immediately if I click on the two tabs (BPM, Then Keycode) to replicate the sort order that was already there.

Seems like it will ignore the re-sorting operation if I can convince it that it doesn't need to re-sort...Perhaps some recent change assumes that large filterfolders should just always be re-sorted, or there is a check that is seeing a change that didn't actually happen, which is invoking a new request to re-sort.

Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but if you use the search it will invoke a re-sort once you clear the search bar as well. It can then be mitigated the same way as above.

If I let the sort complete, it will only sort by the last tab I clicked (which is keycode in my case), but I'm not sure if that is related.

Posted Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 6:09 pm
I believe you are talking about what has annoyed me, too, or is at least very similar. I'm posting in here to see if anyone has a solution.

When I have, say a compatible songs filter folder set as one of the tabs in the sideview, I notice that when it reloads that it reloads always with tracks sorted alphabetically by name. keepSortOrder is on in options and the only two filters on the filter folder are BPM and Key and whenever I leave and come back or even just click the tab for this that I am already in it will reset the sort order back to alphabetical by track name again.

Posted Thu 14 Mar 24 @ 5:08 am
Behavior has changed slightly in b8079.

Unfortunately the behavior is still the same, as it will only remember the last sort choice (I use BPM then Keycode, so just Keycode in this case) then perform a sort again.

Unfortunately the re-sort operation is now significantly faster so I can't even catch it to change the sort back anymore.

The other (significantly) smaller filterfolders are all behaving as expected, though.

Posted Fri 05 Apr 24 @ 1:29 am