Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Choppy sound out of Rane Four requiring restart
Hi. I've been trying to resolve an issue of the sound becoming glitchy/choppy, control with Rane Four partially or totally lost (i.e. meters and displays not updating, knobs/jog wheels not working correctly).
Brand new Thinkpad Core i7 16gb RAM, 6GB GPU, Windows 11. I've been leaving my setup run all day to test if it crashes or has any problems.

I noticed this sound problem happened recently after answering 'Yes' to an analyze Stems popup. I attempted to cancel the stems operation but I couldn't tell if it stopped or not. The sound remained bad until I shut everything down and restarted.
Is there a way to know what VDJ is doing in the background so I can tell if that is the cause of the problems? Or is there a way of reloading the driver or resetting things so I don't have to do a full reboot? I'm terrified of DJing an event and having something like this happen.

I've attempted to optimize my Thinkpad so it's always on, with no sleep or tasks running in the background. I have a good GPU but I don't think VDJ is using it to process stems.

Otherwise it's a great piece of software and I like it much better than Serato, but have to get this issue resolved in order to use it. Thank you.

Posted Tue 20 Feb 24 @ 5:32 pm
PS I should mention that the glitchy sound is like a digital distortion. I had the problem happen again without using stems. Is it possible that the problem is maybe a faulty DA converter in the Rane? I'm racking brain trying to solve this. The laptop and the controller are new.
Thank you.

Posted Wed 21 Feb 24 @ 2:52 am
I'd recommend troubleshooting with different audio outputs to see if it still happens. If it only happens through your Rane controller than the issue is the Rane controller. If it happens regardless of audio output, then see if it happens only in VirtualDJ or in other applications as well to isolate if it is software specific.

Good luck!

Posted Wed 21 Feb 24 @ 6:54 am
Quick question:
The VUmeters on Rane Four "freeze" as well ?
Did I got what you said right ?
The VU meters on Rane Four are not controlled by MIDI, but from the controller firmware itself (hardware operation)
If the vu meters freeze then the controller itself experiences issues.
The only possible cause (other than faulty hardware) that I can think of for this to happen, is power dives/spikes. Do you run the unit thru a power conditioner ? Do you have problems with electric power supply in your area/building/club ?

Other than that, there's no other reason I could think of why the vu meters themselves would "freeze"

Unless I missunderstood what you said above..

Posted Wed 21 Feb 24 @ 12:07 pm
I don't think the problem is VDJ. I had the Rane connected to my desktop all night with VDJ loaded and the sound was fine. I connected it to my laptop today with Serato instead of VDJ and let it run for a few hours and now the sound is messed up again. So, the laptop is doing something weird. I'll ask elsewhere for solutions to solve that problem. Thanks for your response anyway.

Posted Thu 22 Feb 24 @ 12:18 am
Hallo! Have you solved the issue?

Posted Thu 20 Jun 24 @ 2:34 pm