Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Handling key changes
Is there a way to use a POI action to change the key of a song without changing how the song sounds?

For example, if a song starts in Em and then there is a key change to Gm, VDJ still thinks the song is in Em, and so all indicators to aid with mixing in key will be wrong, along with auto keyshift functionality and anything else related to the key of the song.

I would like to use a POI action at key changes to let VDJ know that the song is now in Gm, but using set_key will instead shift it another minor third to Bb, which just makes Bon Jovi sound like the Chipmunks.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 9:42 pm
duoreves wrote :
change the key of a song

From your description, you don't want to change the key - you just want to indicate that the key has changed.

As you say, you could use a POI that just displays info on the waveform, so when you load the track, the info is visible.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 10:04 pm
groovindj wrote :
duoreves wrote :
change the key of a song

From your description, you don't want to change the key - you just want to indicate that the key has changed.

As you say, you could use a POI that just displays info on the waveform, so when you load the track, the info is visible.

That is what I would like to do.

Is there an action that will change the key information? I couldn't find anything in the key section of the list of verbs that will change the key information without actually changing the key.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 10:07 pm
Changing the key information would change the key.

Your options are adding a marker to the waveform, or putting some info in the file tag so it's visible in the browser.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 10:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
Changing the key information would change the key.

Your options are adding a marker to the waveform, or putting some info in the file tag so it's visible in the browser.

Changing the key in the tag editor doesn't change the actual key of the song. That is the change I was hoping to make with a POI.

Is there no way to edit tags using VDJscript then?

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 10:32 pm
By "key information" I assumed you meant the key displayed on each deck, which although is sourced from the tag, does change the key of the track when modified with the key up/down controls.

Personally I think displaying the info on the waveform is a better option as it allows you to see that:
1) There is a key change in the track
2) Where the change happens

I'm not sure it's possible to change tags via script/POI actions.

Calling @locodog

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 11:38 pm
"I would like to use a POI action at key changes to let VDJ know that the song is now in Gm, but using set_key will instead shift it another minor third to Bb, which just makes Bon Jovi sound like the Chipmunks."
&
"Is there an action that will change the key information? I couldn't find anything in the key section of the list of verbs that will change the key information without actually changing the key."
----------
Maybe you can get ahead with this:

-----> loaded_song "key" "gm"

However, you then have to get VDJ to use the original “Key Tag” from the song again.
Otherwise the changed "key tag" would be wrong forever...

So 1 more poi with the original value is needed.

Posted Sat 17 Feb 24 @ 12:45 am
wollerosekauf wrote :
"I would like to use a POI action at key changes to let VDJ know that the song is now in Gm, but using set_key will instead shift it another minor third to Bb, which just makes Bon Jovi sound like the Chipmunks."
&
"Is there an action that will change the key information? I couldn't find anything in the key section of the list of verbs that will change the key information without actually changing the key."
----------
Maybe you can get ahead with this:

-----> loaded_song "key" "gm"

However, you then have to get VDJ to use the original “Key Tag” from the song again.
Otherwise the changed "key tag" would be wrong forever...

So 1 more poi with the original value is needed.

That works perfectly. Thanks.

Posted Sun 18 Feb 24 @ 1:48 am
groovindj wrote :
By "key information" I assumed you meant the key displayed on each deck, which although is sourced from the tag, does change the key of the track when modified with the key up/down controls.

Personally I think displaying the info on the waveform is a better option as it allows you to see that:
1) There is a key change in the track
2) Where the change happens

I'm not sure it's possible to change tags via script/POI actions.

Calling @locodog

I'm also displaying it on the waveform by labeling the POI Gm.

Changing the tag data means that Auto Match Key will still do what it is supposed to, and the little key checkmarks in my list won't be lying to me anymore.

Using
loaded_song "key" "gm"
did just what I wanted.

Thanks for your help.

Posted Sun 18 Feb 24 @ 2:03 am