Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: search function, I don't understand why it doesn't search for what I want in the chosen category
search, search only from online catalogues, search only from beatport, search for the "genre", I enter electro and he finds me all the songs with the "title" electro, it's not what I asked for. I wanted to try with rekordbox and it works, but I love VDJ

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 8:58 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You have selected the beatport folder in the browser.
If you want to search locally, select a different folder on the left.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 9:19 am
I search by genre not by title, I set VDJ to search by genre and the search is carried out by title! Why?

look rekordbox

Did I manage to make myself understood?

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 9:45 am
To browse the online catalogs by genre you can use the Top 100 subfolder

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 9:56 am
I proved to you that rekordbox works, what can't you understand? I'm not interested in browsing the top 100, I need to search the entire Beatport catalog for the "genre" I indicate in the search. this function only works in local files, while it does not work in beatport online catalogues.

with local files the search by genre works

from online catalogs it does not take into account the setting of the "genre" search parameter but continues to search by "title"

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 10:26 am
I've had similar results myself, but I always thought it was a limitation of the way online services work....

Some services simply don't have their music tagged with all the same categories that VDJ has available.

In this instance though, if Rekordbox (and maybe other software) can do it, then it would be an improvement if VDJ could also do this.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 11:24 am
groovindj wrote :
I've had similar results myself, but I always thought it was a limitation of the way online services work....

Some services simply don't have their music tagged with all the same categories that VDJ has available.

In this instance though, if Rekordbox (and maybe other software) can do it, then it would be an improvement if VDJ could also do this.

tank you for the support

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 12:27 pm
I do wonder how you would use that practically though? You just randomly selects songs from the many thousands in a genre?

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 12:47 pm
Well I use this method myself sometimes on my local library...

Rather than going through the process of creating a filter folder or playlist, it's simple just to search for a genre of funk, if you want to see funk tracks for example.

Same with bringing up a list of tracks from a certain year, and so on.

Alternatively, if I'm at a gig and someone asks me to play a genre I don't have, it would be nice to search online for that genre, without having the results contaminated with artists and titles because the word appears there.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 1:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@adion yes, not for performance but for discovery.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 2:47 pm