Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which Controller to VDJ ?
FreddemHome userMember since 2013
Hi, im a guy that have played as a home-dj in periods of my life over the years, now i got intrested again, so i have a few questions, i will try to explain my needs.

As i said im just a home-dj and mix songs just for myself, but i like playing with samples a lot and uses right now only the F-keys on my keyboard, but im then just limited to 12 samples if i have understood it right? And its also a little complicated to pre-listen and fade out and in songs, so i have started to look at some controllers where i also get more samples pads then 12 that i have now + fade in and out songs and have synq button on controller.

Does any here have a good suggestion of what kind of controller would be nice for me to buy ? i have always liked pioneer-dj equipment, but open minded for other brands also.

Im new in this world of controller so im grateful for all help that i can get :)
Thanx in advance

Best regards Fredde

Posted Tue 16 Jan 24 @ 10:37 am
1) You are not "limited" to 12 samples, but that's indeed the "soft limitation" of the default keyboard mapping.

2) Getting any controller with pads would increase the "soft limit" to 16 samples PER BANK, and for most controllers navigating between banks is quite easy. So, effectively it gives you "virtually unlimited" control over samples.

3) If for any reason you need more than that, you can get a device with more pads. These are not full controllers though. They are thaught as "sub controllers" / "supplementary controllers" and they can offer anywhere from 32 to 64 pads, which (again) means access to 32 up to 64 samples PER BANK.

4) The amount of money you're willing to spend overall is an important factor. The controller itself will cost money obviously and in general terms, the more expensive a controller is, the better it gets in both functionality and build / sound quality.
Besides the controller, VirtualDJ itself will cost you some money as well as it also requires a license in order to be able to use it with a controller. Cheaper / entry-level controllers usually offer a "HOME" license which is a cheap way to license only a particular controller and get yourself started. However more expensive / more advanced / pro controllers will require a "PRO" license.
So, depending on how much you are willing to spend, it may better to get a particular controller, or avoid another.

I will not give you direct recommendations (at least not yet, before reading the above).
If you have more questions, please let us know!

Posted Wed 17 Jan 24 @ 9:54 am
FreddemHome userMember since 2013
Ok thanx PhantomDeejay for your help, i have to think about it

Posted Thu 18 Jan 24 @ 9:08 pm