Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: In Serato No Issues - In VDJ Sync Drift
I own a RANE One and since the last VDJ uodate I noticed that Sync doesn't stay and drifts.

So avoid the endless reasons of it is beatgrids, someone farted, or other issues.

Using the same track on both decks and no matter weather auto Sync on load/play or any other Sync settings.

Press play with both lined up and one track starts drifting forward or it could be one is drifting slower.

I uninstalled VDJ reinstalled from fresh download in case something was goofy. Same issue.

Looked online and oddly this seems to be a thing and also for the NS7 as well.

I turned off the motors and the tracks behaved.

As soon as I turned them back on immediately the drifting starts.

Maybe it's the motors.

So I downloaded a fresh copy of the latest Serato Pro.

Using the same track on each deck as was used on VDJ.
The tracks stayed in sync and no matter where I moved each track to they stayed where I left them.

I know maybe the song changes beatsxper minute. If so then both tracks are the same exact song or mix and would change at the same time. So next theory please.

I also noticed since the last uodate that a track would sound as if it is slowing and speeding up by small amounts.

I know, I know somehow this always happens with VDJ due to motor flutter and somehow Serato Pro ignores this so it plays smoothly. Now, why would this only ne since the last uodate of VDJ and what do you thingmk those 3lb aluminum platters do for Rane One? They smooth out the flutter to where it is imperceptible to people. Using the weight as a flywheel and resistance to counter that fluctuating issue.

This fluctuating issue hasn't happened to me prior to the last update.

Much like turntable platters do. We should not hear what sounds like weird audio anomalies in any event like these.

I noticed from day one VDJ has a harder time with the motorized Rane One.

Now as the final test: I disconnected Rane One and reconnected my Pioneer DDJ SX2 oddly no issues whatsoever.

So if VDJ doesn't have an issue with Rane One and it seems NS7 series controllers - why are there endless posts all over asking for any help with this seemingly endless issue.

I noticed the issues go back way before the last uodate also. Maybe I was lucky, and maybe not.

So far the solution is use Serato and Rane One or not use Rane One.

So why doesn't VDJ have an anti-drifting feature orxfunction. Name it something else. ALIGNMENT or Gridlock or
The answer is not constantly pressing Sync.

I have even uninstalled reinstalled the Rane driver(s) from a fresh download to be sure no goofy business was going on.

I used the SX2 the rest of the day without any issues.

If VDJ won't or can't play nicely with Rane One or motorized devices. As this affects Rane 12 and I think other motorized controllers / cdj's maybe it's a pattern.

So if it is a motor issue the same exact thing would happen in Serato Pro. Yet, I can not recreate it in Serato Pro even turning off anti-drifting it stays on point.

Sorry for wounding annoyed and all, I just have tried all of the online tips and suggestions with no luck.

I love VDJ and hope that not only I get help or this issue fixed for motorized devices.

If the folks at VDJ have particular settings I can try that I haven't found online already - tried those and here I am.

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 2:47 am
In Serato sync is an adjustment and a lock
In VDJ sync is an adjustment but without lock

However VDJ has a few different sync types you can try instead like pitch_lock or beatlock
They are mapped on some controllers, but to test them you can simply try adding them (one at the time) to a custom button, and click that instead of sync (or just after)

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 10:19 am
I also have a Rane One and I keep auto pitch lock enabled so I never have this problem.

With auto pitch lock enabled, anytime I load instant doubles, they automatically lock in sync. No drift ever.

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 11:03 am
"I also have a Rane One and I keep auto pitch lock enabled so I never have this problem."
-----> Then you can just turn off the motors...
then they just run for show :-)
my opinion:
The devices are actually not built for that

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:03 pm
wollerosekauf wrote :

The devices were built to mimic turntables and a mixer.
With that said, if you use real Vinyl with turntables and a mixer, there will be no smoothing out of the fluctations - you'll have to do it manually/yourself, and the argument can be made that mimicking that is closer to reality than trying to smooth it out with antidrift like features, (which might be giving a false impression of the experience it's trying to mimic, and would result in more of the shock to the DJ if the made the jump to actual vinyl).
Adding such smooth or not is a choice that DJ software providers can make based on the experience they want to provide (it's not a requirement). The abscence of the feature doesn't make the device unusable, just harder to use relative to other offerings.
They probably could add antidrift as a feature though (it's up to them decide), but based on the perspective of what the system is trying to achieve (mimicking a pair of turntables and a 2 channel mixer), they probably viewed it as not required.

If you want to using software based sync however (which is different from/adjacent to antidrift, what has been suggested before is what you want.

wollerosekauf wrote :

We should not hear what sounds like weird audio anomalies in any event like thes

The fluctuations shouldn't really be detectable to that extent (with Master Tempo on or off). If this is really happening, that is a problem - maybe record a video and send it to support/post it here so that they can work on it?

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:38 pm
wollerosekauf wrote :
"I also have a Rane One and I keep auto pitch lock enabled so I never have this problem."
-----> Then you can just turn off the motors...
then they just run for show :-)
my opinion:

Thats how they work in Serato, which is the software they are shipped with

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:48 pm
As mentioned in my original post - I have tried all modes of SYNC to be sure that it is not just a setting issue.

Use the same track - One Option at a time.
Auto Pitch Lock - ON = Still drifts.

Auto BPM = On = Still Drifts.

Auto Sync on Play - On = Still Drifts.

Again that is each of those alone .

All Three - On = Still Drifts.

I go into Serato and it is able to keep it from drifting just fine.

Not sure if it is hardware or software based but it is annoying. Could be both possibly.

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 9:05 pm
"With that said, if you use real Vinyl with turntables and a mixer, there will be no smoothing out of the fluctations - you'll have to do it manually/yourself,..."

that's exactly how my NS7 runs with Itch and Serato.
just like a turntable and mixer.

nothing different than with needle and vinyl. like a dvs.
If I had a pickup on there and routed it into a mixer - it would be like an old school setup.

but let's leave that.
I also have 2 turntables and a mixer here.

I know the differences...

wollerosekauf wrote :
"We should not hear what sounds like weird audio anomalies in any event like thes"
-----> This quote is “not” mine!

have a nice evening

@DJ Wheelchairbeats:
"...and since the last VDJ uodate I noticed that Sync doesn't stay and drifts..."
-----> could you test an older version of vdj?
let's see if it changes...

Posted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 9:12 pm
So I double-checked and my VDJ Version was the BUILD 7831 (2023-11-30) This was causing my Rane One Drift issues.

By the way, this is the first time I have encountered this drift issue with Rane ONE and VDJ.

I can't seem to locate the post that suggested trying an older version and see if it reverts to what I am used to.

So I uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled Build Number 7847 (Early Access) from this VDJ-related link to older builds https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Reconnected my ONE and fired up VDJ.

I am again using the same track on both desks. I also ran many different duplicate tracks - zero drifting. Ran two different tracks - zero drifting. Repeated this several times using random tracks. All zero drifting.

Starting with a single option selected.
Auto Pitch Lock - ON = ROCK SOLID and ZERO DRIFTING

Also, no oddball anomalies with audio, something like a micro wobble that has not happened to me before until the latest version of VDJ.

Sync on Play - ON = SPOT ON LOCKED and ZERO DRIFTING.
THE AUTO PITCH IS NOW OFF.

AUTO BPM - ON = NAILED IT! ZERO DRIFTING.
Sync on Play is now off.

Each works perfectly now.

All three together - ON = Smooth like butter. And Zero Drifting.

I know the answer to my problem now - stay on this version of VDJ.

Maybe this will help others down the line when it happens to them.

Have a fantastic rest of your day.

Posted Fri 12 Jan 24 @ 2:34 pm
I hear you brah. I have the same issue with my Rane 72 mk2/Rane Twelve mk2 setup.
I would love to revert to an older working version, but that would mean the enhanced stems won't be available and I used stems a great deal in my blend mixing. So just going back to an older version is not a good look for me or vdj and needs to be addressed by them promptly. They have to know there is a real underlying issue here, but for some reason I'm not encouraged they are proactively trying to resolve it. I hope I'm wrong, but so fat I'm not seeing any progress smh.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 24 @ 9:39 pm
user23333160 wrote :
Ithat would mean the enhanced stems won't be available

Incorrect. Did you read the previous posts?

DJ Wheelchairbeats said that 7847 fixed his issue. That's the latest early access build.

According to his post, it was the OLDER build that wasn't working.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 24 @ 10:08 pm
groovindj wrote :
user23333160 wrote :
Ithat would mean the enhanced stems won't be available

Incorrect. Did you read the previous posts?

DJ Wheelchairbeats said that 7847 fixed his issue. That's the latest early access build.

According to his post, it was the OLDER build that wasn't working.

Hmmm, ok I will try 7847. Much thanks to all.

Posted Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 12:47 am