Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ Workflow for Editing Music on Computer Stored on a Laptop Over Network
Wondering if anyone could chime in on working on your music files stored on a laptop on another computer over the network.

I like to use my main system (larger monitor sound etc) to edit my music. I have my music library on the laptop and the music folder is shared over the network. Now from what I recall, when you run and edit virtualdj files, the application writes the information to a folder in the drive called "Virtual DJ". Which leaves me wondering if it is ok to work from my main tower and not have any issues in the databases?

Posted Wed 10 Jan 24 @ 4:02 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you map the network share as a drive letter then VDJ should see the VirtualDJ folder the same as a local secondary disk.
Only one computer can make changes at the same time, but as long as you only run VirtualDJ on one computer at a time that should be fine.

Posted Wed 10 Jan 24 @ 4:35 am
Thanks Adion.

I just came back online to post. Did exactly the above. Networked the drive and then started VirtualDJ on the main computer.

My playlists show up correctly. The favorites folders don't and I think that is because the path is different.

I was having an issue with VDJ rescanning all my tracks which is nuts since I also have a large number of stems. But looks like its not doing that now.

Posted Wed 10 Jan 24 @ 5:45 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If the files are on the main drive with your OS installation on the primary computer, then the database would be stored in AppData instead of the VirtualDJ folder, so in that case the database would not be in the same location and thus not be shared.
If it is on a different partition or drive then it should work though.

Posted Wed 10 Jan 24 @ 7:02 am