Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can track gain level be displayed in the browser?
I mostly work from my music video collection and autogain does a decent job of normalising the output when playing out.

I have noticed though when playing the videos outwith VDJ that some are quieter than others and some a bit louder. I see that VDJ keeps a "gain" field in the tag editor which presumably stores the amount of autogain added on playback once the file has been analyzed.

Is there any way to see that number for all files so I can find which videos need adjusted in general?

Thanks!

Posted Fri 05 Jan 24 @ 4:55 pm
sofitLE userMember since 2008

Posted Sat 06 Jan 24 @ 7:43 pm
Not sure why you think your reply is relevant.

I'm happy with the VDJ output and autogain. I am just wanting to display a list of the gain adjustments.

Posted Sat 06 Jan 24 @ 8:40 pm
@Kradcliffe not a nice/application native solution, but the gain values are probably in the database.xml file...you can probably use Python or other scripting language to parse the file and gather track filepaths based on that and other properties (e.g. if the file is a video, some threshold of gain value) and generate a VirtualDJ playlist with those files from the same script, which would show up on subsequent application startups.

Posted Sat 06 Jan 24 @ 11:54 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I could make it [I've plenty of xml scraping apps] but, I'm not sure the results would give anything conclusive.
you've got gain as you see in the tag editor, then you also have volume which is a scan attribute only seen at xml level, I don't think either would tell you "this track is over gained"

Posted Sun 07 Jan 24 @ 1:25 am
@locodog my assumption was that a collection of tracks would be gathered on some crude approximation/assumption (e.g. a gain boost level at or above which is perceived to be too high) and then that collection would be further parsed through manual checking or using some other ReplayGain type tool to verify the assumption.

Posted Sun 07 Jan 24 @ 5:21 am
Really in simple terms I'd just like a column for gain in the browser if this could be considered.

Posted Sun 07 Jan 24 @ 3:41 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Really in simple terms I'd just like a column for gain in the browser if this could be considered.

I don't think it would bee to hard to add

But it my cause a lot of confusion, because it's the detected gain, that VDJ then adds to or subtracts from before playing the track especially when using auto gain
And it should never be manually changed on a track, because it's the foundation for the gaining VDJ does, so that will stop working properly

Posted Sun 07 Jan 24 @ 5:21 pm