Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can't figure out how to capture recording on my set up.
Hey team. Idk what is even happening anymore. Been using forever. Done this 1,000 times. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make 3 things true: 1) Audio out speakers connected to computer. 2) Audio out to headphones plugged into my DDJ-REV1 controller for monitoring. 3) Recording captures audio from the mix. I can hit 2/3, but never all 3.

This DDJ-REV1 is new. Never have been able to successfully capture recordings since using this puppy, but I have no idea why that would be affecting it. I also got a new USB Sound Card, but am not using it in this set up.

Please let me know how I should configure the Audio Settings to get back to recording mixes.

Posted Mon 01 Jan 24 @ 11:27 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Here is the default audio setup of REV 1

https://www.virtualdj.com/img/355528/53701/audiosetup_web.png

If you need to hear Master output from your laptop speakers (and still able to record properly), you can do one of the 2 things below ..

A. Add a second "master" output to the default Audio setup using your computer's built in sound card (chans 1,2), so at the end you will have 2 x Master lines there.

B. Change the "master" of the default audio setup to use your computer's built-in sound card (and not the REV1) and remove the "record" line from there.

The A method is suggested, so that the Mic input of the REV1 is also recorded in your mix.

If the above doesnt work and/or still having troubles in pre-listening, make sure the REV1 sound card is not selected as the default playback device from your Operating System

Posted Tue 02 Jan 24 @ 9:16 am
Thanks DJDAD!

Simply adding the extra master did the trick, I think! I will test more thoroughly later on. Kept having issues where the set up was off a bit, and when I'd go to start a recording it would either immediately record dead air, or sit there never starting the recording. Times where I got recording to work, either outputs were wacky. Never thought to add another master to the equation.

Pretty sure we're sailing again. Ended up needing to incorporate the usb sound card since the default compy sound board is still acting a bit suspicious in this arraignment. So bizarre, works fine with everything else.

Either way, MUCH appreciated! Simple fix, but sometimes you just need to get someone else to look at a thing before it behaves. :)

Happy New Year! May all your mixes be mighty!

Posted Tue 02 Jan 24 @ 3:45 pm
Immediate follow up post!

Do you use the DDJ-REV1 with VDJ? Another thing I realized I didn't know how to do was scratch on a song while it was running. Usually I'm only doing this for like, a hard-handed rewind sound pulling a track back as another one is dropping in. On other controllers I've used, there's like a lil' "scratch" button to hi-light to switch from soft adjusts to hard pulls.

Any tips on that? Feels odd that it wouldn't be a thing I can do with this deck designed around old school battle scratching set up.

Maybe I need to throw more time at Serato? It feels so strange after being on VDJ this long. Like cooking in your mom's kitchen: Like, I know the stuff I need is in here, but where the hell are the tongs?!

Posted Tue 02 Jan 24 @ 3:48 pm

Posted Tue 02 Jan 24 @ 5:12 pm
Lol oops! Thanks for pointing that out, much appreciated!

Should be able to dust off the other speed bumps from here. Appreciate y'all!

Posted Wed 03 Jan 24 @ 3:25 pm