Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: If I accidentally switch DDJ-800's source to PHONE/LINE it Stops Deck_3 or Deck_4
There is a annoying issue with the DDJ-800 mapping.

The DDJ-800 only has 2-ch volume faders and by default when you switch between the leftdeck's SOURCE_DECK_1 and SOURCE_DECK_3 switch or the rightdeck's SOURCE_DECK_2 / SOURCE_DECK_4 switch it would mute the other deck on the same side of the controller.

I wanted to be able to mix more than two decks at a time using the controller so I remapped:
SOURCE_DECK_1 = leftdeck & deck 1 mute off & deck 3 mute off
SOURCE_DECK_2 = rightdeck & deck 2 mute off & deck 4 mute off
SOURCE_DECK_3 = leftdeck & deck 3 mute off & deck 1 mute off
SOURCE_DECK_4 = rightdeck & deck 4 mute off & deck 2 mute off

So now when I switch between decks 1/3 and 2/4 on the controller... everything keeps playing and none of channels become muted. Perfect.

Except if I accidentally switch past deck 3 or deck 4 into the last 'PHONO/LINE' position,
Deck 1 / Deck 2... continue to play, but Deck 3 or Deck 4 immediately stop playing.

In mapping when I switch from Deck 3 to PHONO/LINE:
ONSONGLOAD = (doesn't say On or Off) Action: (this is also empty)
SOURCE_HW = On Action: toggle 'linech' & linein & var 'linech' ? pad_page 'pad fx1'
SOURCE_DECK_3 = Off Action: leftdeck & deck 3 mute off & deck 1 mute off

How can I change this so if I accidentally switch to LINE/PHONO that all four decks keep playing?
I couldn't locate anything in the manual about SOURCE_HW.

Thank you. ~et

Posted Sat 30 Dec 23 @ 1:44 am
Basically there's a special setting for this unit that allows you to mix on 2 or 4 decks.
If you changed that setting you would not have to remap the SOURCE_DECK buttons.
This setting is called DDJ800-mixerMode and it should be accessible via VirtualDJ settings by clicking the OPTIONS tab and then the CONTROLLER icon.

Also the SOURCE_HW key does not "mute" decks 3 and 4.
What it does is that it switches them to use the line inputs of the controller instead.
You can "remap" this behavior but you will lose the ability to play any analog sources via DDJ-800, since the analog sources are meant to be routed to the software for mixing with this device.
Simply change the SOURCE_HW key mapping to nothing

Posted Sat 30 Dec 23 @ 5:21 pm
It's perplexing that the default behavior is that selecting PHONO/LINE causes DECK 3 to stop playing while DECK 1 remains playing and there is no way to make DECK 3 replicate that action.

However, since I use AUX (and PHONO/LINE rarely) at least SOURCE_HW = 'nothing' will function to disable accidentally stopping DECK 3/4.

Thank you so much!

Posted Thu 04 Jan 24 @ 2:04 pm
To make it more clear:
The SOURCE_HW switch forces deck 3 to LINE INPUT mode.
So, the deck 3 switches from playing an audio file on your computer, to "playing/manipulating" an analog audio line input.
The switch does not "mute" deck 3. It switches it's source.
Think of it as "loading another file"
That's why music on deck 3 "stops"

If the music was not to stop, then another issue would arise:
You would have a "deck" (and a mixer channel) trying to control 2 separate things at the same time:
The "audio file" and the "analog input"
So, in that case, what would happen if you used the controls of that deck ? Would the software control both "sources" at the same time, one (which one) or none ?

Finally, the reason it works this way is due to how Pioneer designed the unit.
That's how it works with Rekordbox as well, and that's because DDJ-800 is not able to mix the analog inputs by it's own when it's acting as a control surface (MIDI is active).
Other controllers (like DDJ-1000) do not have this issue, as the controller has a full analog mixer that's capable of mixing analog audio sources even when MIDI is active.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 24 @ 8:08 am