Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do you successfully migrate or restore backups on Mac from PC?
karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I’ve searched this multiple times, and even submitted a support request, but I’m still confused.

People say the latest versions of VDJ you can back up and restore your whole database from within VDJ and unlike manually moving copies of each database file over, doing it from within VDJ is supposed to fix file path issues in how the Mac processes video and audio file paths.

The VDJ tutorials don’t seem to express this explicitly, but many forum posts suggest this is the case.

However, when I try it, it does fix many of the file paths in the playlist category, but not all, I had to manually relocate hundreds of files after the restore on the Mac.

Now I’m stuck with thousands of files still missing in the history folder and there’s no way to recurse all the history to do any bulk relocate file batches, and I don’t have time to do it individually, but would like my history intact.

Serato crates show up on Mac or pc without any extra effort, I really wish this was easier with VDJ, I’ve had a couple MacBooks sitting around for a long time because every time I try this migration I run into problems and just keep using the windows machine, but I don’t have a good windows backup machine anymore so if something happened, I’d end up pulling out the MacBook and playing off serato or serato crates in VDJ, I’m trying to get all I have on the Mac because I have two identical machines and can run one primary and one secondary,.

I dealt I would still like to use the hard drive to play on another windows system when needed, some clubs you just bring your hard drive,

I wish I could force all the databases onto the external and bypass all this mess, but maybe I’m missing something and someone can explain to me how to better do this.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 23 @ 2:48 am
karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Any thoughts????

Posted Thu 28 Dec 23 @ 5:11 am
It doesn't work. I've tried several times most recently a year ago and if you're working windows to mac or vice versa it's a train crash.

Better to try and stick to one or the other as far as the database is concerned.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 23 @ 10:14 am