Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stems_split custom behavior scripting help
I'm still pretty new to scripting in VirtualDJ, but I think I'm getting the hang of it for most somewhat basic stuff. I am reaching out here though for help with two ideas that I am wanting to script out, but cannot seem to find a way of doing them, if they are even possible.

First, some context:
I have a Behringer CMD Studio 4a. I currently have it mapped so that the EQ knobs actually control the deck's EQ, but I have the EQ kill buttons control the muting stems of the track (high = vocal kill, mid = melody kill and low = drums kill). I use stems_split by long pressing ("holding") one of the deck controls buttons to split the stems and then be able to do things with the then separated audio.

The issues:
One thing I have found awkward is having to "move" the instrumentals to the vocal track if I decide I want only the drums on another deck and so I have to either briefly mute or double the audio I want to be moved because I can only have one of the two stems_split decks selected at a time to be able to mute it on one deck and then unmute it on the other and more generally that I can only do things to one of the two decks at a time.

The requests:
To solve for this I've been wanting to implement two things.

1. When the stems are split, have the EQ kill buttons for the stems of the linked decks toggle on and off between one another. As an example of what I mean: If I split a stem and then wish to "move" the instrumentals to the deck with the isolated vocals so that then the drums are on their own deck that I can push the mid kill to mute the melody on that deck and also have this simultaneously unmute the instrumentals on the vocals deck.

I was thinking it might be something along the lines of having VirtualDJ check if the decks are stems_split and then have the kill buttons work in tandem as I mentioned, but I don't know if it is possible to query "stems_split ?" on the EQ kill buttons to enable this function when they are in this state. My few attempts to try this query have failed and so it seems this either doesn't work this way or I may be also just doing it wrong for all I know.

**If it is possible, how would I script this?**

I've realized that if I wanted to fully mute a stem while they are split that this idea would create another problem to be solved, but I can save this for another day. ;-)

2. I also really like the idea of having the stems split from left to right instead of top to bottom or specifically split from deck 1 to decks 1 and 2 instead of their default behavior of deck 1 and 3. This would allow me have them on two simeltaniously usable decks rather than on the two decks that I can only use one at a time. I would still like them to be linked, but it doesn't appear that stems remain linked when they are split and then moved to another deck.

**If this is possible, would I script this?**

I have considered rearranging the decks in VirtualDJ as a way to accomplish this (assigning deck 3 to my controller's deck B), but I wonder if it would somehow create other problems in turn.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help and insight and I'd also love to hear any ideas anyone has for possibly making this even better or call out any potential issues I may have missed.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 23 @ 8:59 am