Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Recent Virtual DJ 2023-m b7831 General Crashes/Instability
I've just experienced general instability + crashes with v2023-m b7831 during a midday radio show today.

Machine: M1 MacBook Pro 2023 (16 GB RAM)

Devices:
- Pioneer DJM S11
- Phase (Phase Manager v2.4.0, Firmware v8)
- Virtual DJ DVS Records (fairly new)

Other things happening:
- Sending video output to a capture card (connected to a Windows 11 machine)
- Running a broadcast to a ShoutCAST server (radio.co)
- Recording the mix as flac

Problem: General DVS instability + Phase Remote instability + 2 crashes with restarts when playing a particular tune

I didn't start off using Phase (the remotes were in the receiver, but the receiver was connected and detected on startup). I was using DVS, then the DVS stopped responding properly (no improvement after switching + cleaning needles, terminal, etc (the DVS records are fairly new VirtualDJ ones)). I then switched to Phase to see if the situation improved (just in case my needles were bad). It started off okay, then one remote basically went crazy (the song started playing super quickly for no reason). I put the remote back into the receiver in hopes it would reset its state, then took it out - it performed okay for a bit, then started giving problems, then I experienced two crashes with restarts. I closed the program after the second and restarted it and it mostly worked until the end and that point.

Could you guys check to see what happened on your end? I can provide the crash report that VirtualDJ gave to the MacOS crash reporter for reference as well (not provided here as the stacktrace is very long).

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 8:19 pm
Or should I contact support for this problem?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 9:57 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There is a crash logged while loading a song. Can you reproduce loading the same song?
It might also be related to Phase going crazy. Did you already update to the new firmware with HID support?
We did come across it sending weird too fast data as well, so that might be the reason why they pulled that firmware in order to fix that bug.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 23 @ 6:22 am
Adion wrote :
There is a crash logged while loading a song. Can you reproduce loading the same song?
It might also be related to Phase going crazy.

So the crashes happened twice in a row, when playing the particular song, with restart (the crash restart seemed like it tried to resume from the last state of the program), but once I manually closed and restarted VirtualDJ and then reloaded the song into a deck, the song was playable, via phase, for at least a minute before I transitioned to another song. I was unable to reproduce it after the show, but that was on a fresh restart trying to immediately play just the one song. I can try again with specific sequence of songs around the time of the crash to see if that territories.

Just before the crashes, the remote did go crazy on the song while trying to play it.

Adion wrote :

Did you already update to the new firmware with HID support?
We did come across it sending weird too fast data as well, so that might be the reason why they pulled that firmware in order to fix that bug.

Yes I am on Phase v2.4.0 with Fimrware v8, and I was using the remote in HID mode.
Based on the behaviour I was not sure if it was a Phase issue or a VirtualDJ issue, but it seems like it's a Phase problem based on your analysis/explanation. Yhanks for confirming..I'll see if falling back to using it in DVS mode has any improvement.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 23 @ 1:00 pm
Hello ,I'm Using FLX10 I encountered the same problem, Virtual dj Crashed closed by itself while I was mixing, , and it wasn't at uploading a song to the other desk just in the middle of the song VDJ CLOSED, FROZE FOR 3 SECONDS AND THEN CLOSED. IT DID NOT DO IT AGAIN, BUT IT DOES A SPLIT SECOND STOPS OCCASIONALLY.I'm using Alienware M15 i 9 64 Ram RTX3070

Posted Sat 16 Dec 23 @ 4:23 pm
I'm experiencing similar problems. It seems completely random. I use VDJ for Karaoke and disco alike. Is this a problem that any other users are experiencing or is a Mac M1 thing?

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 9:16 am
Gummy Turtle wrote :
I'm experiencing similar problems

Similar to who?

The first user was using a now withdrawn firmware with Phase, a DJM-S11, broadcasting, sending video to a cpature card, and recording a mix. Do you have the same setup?

The user posting above you is using an FLX10.

If your setup is different, please provide details.

Posted Tue 05 Mar 24 @ 12:59 pm
I recently updated my VDJ to the latest build I could find. I'm a Pro user. I use an M1 Mac and have made sure all updates are installed on the Mac. I mostly do Karaokes and use VDJ as a preferred programme because of all the KJ features included. Recently, it has crashed in the middle of a gig when simply searching for a file or editing a tag. Most recently as I was recording a sound bite from one of the files on my hard drive it crashed mid record (that's using the recording feature of the programme. Is there something else I need to up-date. Also, how do I get it to automatically update to the latest build?

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 2:07 pm
Gummy Turtle wrote :
I recently updated my VDJ to the latest build I could find. I'm a Pro user. I use an M1 Mac and have made sure all updates are installed on the Mac. I mostly do Karaokes and use VDJ as a preferred programme because of all the KJ features included. Recently, it has crashed in the middle of a gig when simply searching for a file or editing a tag. Most recently as I was recording a sound bite from one of the files on my hard drive it crashed mid record (that's using the recording feature of the programme. Is there something else I need to up-date. Also, how do I get it to automatically update to the latest build?

So... not related at all it seems...
Maybe start a new post?

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 3:16 pm
klausmogensen:

Crashes and general instability is the title of the thread.

I pay for a monthly subscription for a programme that is glitching and crashes regularly when I'm in front of a paying audience. I would call that crashes and instability . You are talking yourself out of a loyal customer here. Take my request seriously. Just because I can't use the technical language other users are capable of it does make my problem any less of an issue.

Posted Fri 08 Mar 24 @ 4:03 pm
Seem like a process conflict. try disabling things you dont need while djing. like internet and auto background processes. Im not familiar with Mac but those crashes on windows were always caused by the laptop trying to do something in the background.

Posted Fri 08 Mar 24 @ 8:27 pm