Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What do I lose from Upgrading away from VDJ Version 8? And what's the minimum requirement to run Tidal?
karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi,

I dj'd weekly bookings for over 10 years before covid, I've still played out some since Covid, but I've not dug into all the changes in software and technology in awhile.

I'm running version 8 right now on Windows, I also put it on a Mac, but didn't like how I lost certain things I can't remember if the playlists or history or something didn't work on mac because of the file path being different.

Anyway, I thought I read you'd lose Milkdrop, TellyMedia/TellyVisuals or other plugins if I upgraded away from version 8.

Anyway, I'm in some weird gigs lately and despite trying to update my hard drive consistently, I'm frequently finding a need where some songs aren't on my hard drive, or in any of my record pools for whatever reason, too old, too new, out of the UK, or whatever.

I want to test out Tidal because the online dj pool offered from VDJ is also lacking for me, so I wanted to see if Tidal had more stuff, and I liked the idea of being able to create Tidal playlists I can listen to and also access those songs in VDJ.

I don't see Tidal as a streaming option in my version of VDJ, so I assume I have to upgrade, but I need to know what I will lose by doing so and if there are any work arounds? I like milkdrop better than the version 8 shader and it still works for me when I need it. I've also used some other plugins for streaming live and wasn't sure if that went away. Also wasn't sure if I had to go all the way to the latest version of VDJ to get Tidal access...

Thanks for any help and feedback...

I've searched but I can't find answers to my specific questions.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 9:09 am

you can still use the 32bit version of the software ( https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html ) and use the 32bit plugins with it. not all of the plugins have been re-done for the 64bit software, but there's been plenty of things added and yes, there is a learning curve but there's tons of tutorials, stuff in the manual, and youtube videos, and the official VDJ facebook support group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/club4djs) is full of people who will help.

and you can have both the 32bit and 64bit on the same computer - and they'll share databases.

Shadertoy shaders are pretty much used instead of milkdrop (tho there is a milkdrop 64 bit beta floating out there. TellyVisuals and TellyMedia... kinda in limbo on the 64bit beta - the developer hasn't been reachable for a while and i'm kinda worried about him.

can't speak for the online streaming - i don't use any of them and buy everything.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 9:53 am
wildcountryclub wrote :

you can still use the 32bit version of the software ( https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html ) and use the 32bit plugins with it. not all of the plugins have been re-done for the 64bit software, but there's been plenty of things added and yes, there is a learning curve but there's tons of tutorials, stuff in the manual, and youtube videos, and the official VDJ facebook support group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/club4djs) is full of people who will help.

and you can have both the 32bit and 64bit on the same computer - and they'll share databases.

Shadertoy shaders are pretty much used instead of milkdrop (tho there is a milkdrop 64 bit beta floating out there. TellyVisuals and TellyMedia... kinda in limbo on the 64bit beta - the developer hasn't been reachable for a while and i'm kinda worried about him.

can't speak for the online streaming - i don't use any of them and buy everything.

Thanks, so what’s the main difference between running the 32 but version and the 64 bit? I assume 64 is better, but is there a big difference?

I have windows 10 but when I upgraded to 8 from 7 I believe it kept the 32 bit version because I upgraded and didn’t install brand new, so am I able to keep 8 and have the 32 bit version of the new one or if I want to keep 8, I have to get the 64 bit version of the new one?

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 11:15 pm
Don't know if this is answering your question, but may help your decision.

Before starting what Build of VDJ are you currently using?

and check here for computer, requirements for VDJ builds?
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html

here is some BUILD History:

BUILD 2582........... VirtualDJ 8.1........... 11-20-2015

BUILD 3286........... VirtualDJ 8.2........... 06-24-2016

BUILD 4444........... VirtualDJ 2018......... 06-19-2018

BUILD 5308........... VirtualDJ 2020......... 09-22-2019

BUILD 5918........... VirtualDJ 2021......... 06-18-2020 .............. Stems 1.0 added

BUILD 6106........... VirtualDJ 2021......... 09-14-2020 .............. Tidal streaming added

BUILD 7356........... VirtualDJ 2023......... 12-01-2022 .............. Stems 2.0 added

BUILD 7831........... VirtualDJ 2023......... 11-30-2023 .............. Current Standard Build

-----------------------------

Note: If current computer cannot compute the 2.0 stems live, one can pre-compute them, and use 1.0 stems for all other live needs, when up-dated to the most current build.

In general Windows 10/11 w 64-bit is necessary for Stems 2.0 (with a more powerful GPU if wishing to compute, more then 1.0 stems live)
(again there is no issue with pre-computing the BEST 2.0 stems with almost any Win 10+ 64bit install)

I cannot address what one looses from updating from 32 bit to 64 bit.. but one does gain the amazing, BEST, VDJ 2.0 stems.

And believe one can update to most versions as 32 bit.
(one that includes Tidal integration, but note that there have been many enhancements to Tidal streaming from the date above when first added)
Oh and there is one mention.. concerning Tidal.. recently.. Tidal has remove the ability to separate stems from their tracks, and with the other hand... added unlimited Offline caching of Tidal tracks.

See older 32 bit & 64 bit, builds that are available, here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 1:32 am
main difference between them is performance - big difference there - and capability to do things that 32bit computers can't do.

and you can have BOTH the 32bit and 64bit software on same computer, sharing databases so you don't lose anything - which is exactly what i have here on this computer.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 1:47 am
i don't think they are doing 32 bit for mac any longer ..... maybe i'm wrong but pretty sure i read that here

if the plugins you need are only 32 bit they will not work in 64bit

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 1:57 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Don't know if this is answering your question, but may help your decision.

Before starting what Build of VDJ are you currently using?

and check here for computer, requirements for VDJ builds?
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html

here is some BUILD History:

BUILD 2582........... VirtualDJ 8.1........... 11-20-2015

BUILD 3286........... VirtualDJ 8.2........... 06-24-2016

BUILD 4444........... VirtualDJ 2018......... 06-19-2018

BUILD 5308........... VirtualDJ 2020......... 09-22-2019

BUILD 5918........... VirtualDJ 2021......... 06-18-2020 .............. Stems 1.0 added

BUILD 6106........... VirtualDJ 2021......... 09-14-2020 .............. Tidal streaming added

BUILD 7356........... VirtualDJ 2023......... 12-01-2022 .............. Stems 2.0 added

BUILD 7831........... VirtualDJ 2023......... 11-30-2023 .............. Current Standard Build

-----------------------------

Note: If current computer cannot compute the 2.0 stems live, one can pre-compute them, and use 1.0 stems for all other live needs, when up-dated to the most current build.

In general Windows 10/11 w 64-bit is necessary for Stems 2.0 (with a more powerful GPU if wishing to compute, more then 1.0 stems live)
(again there is no issue with pre-computing the BEST 2.0 stems with almost any Win 10+ 64bit install)

I cannot address what one looses from updating from 32 bit to 64 bit.. but one does gain the amazing, BEST, VDJ 2.0 stems.

And believe one can update to most versions as 32 bit.
(one that includes Tidal integration, but note that there have been many enhancements to Tidal streaming from the date above when first added)
Oh and there is one mention.. concerning Tidal.. recently.. Tidal has remove the ability to separate stems from their tracks, and with the other hand... added unlimited Offline caching of Tidal tracks.

See older 32 bit & 64 bit, builds that are available, here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Version 8.4 b5874 currently

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 5:42 am
wickedmix wrote :
i don't think they are doing 32 bit for mac any longer ..... maybe i'm wrong but pretty sure i read that here

if the plugins you need are only 32 bit they will not work in 64bit

I found this bit of info through Google;

"All Mac operating systems have been 64 bit for over a decade. Starting with Catalina, the MacOS will only run 64 bit apps. Prior to Catalina, the MacOS could run both 32 and 64 bit apps."

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 9:36 am
Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to have to check my macbook pro (2015) specs to see if it supports stems.

My windows 10 machine seems to meet the requirements except one thing, the graphics card I have is a Nvidia gtx 950, with 2GB dedicated video memory, 8GB shared on the Intel internal card, for 10+GB total, but the Nvidia card is set to run VDJ. The recommended card is the 1050 or newer at 4GB VRAM.

Otherwise it's an i7 with 16GB RAM. etc.

I wonder how Stems would work on this machine (I do mix videos btw).

Posted Mon 18 Dec 23 @ 10:14 am