Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Change Deck Assignment When Auto Sets Opposite Side for 1 and 2
Is there a way to change the left and right decks when they are on the opposite side that doesn't involve going into the settings/mapping/ 1 or 2? Using CDJ-900 and they are set to "auto"

Long time SeratoDJ user. Typical startup process. Turn on laptop, open serato, turn on (mixer) DJM-s9, then turn on left deck (aka 1) then turn on right deck (2). That process works fine in VirtualDJ as well. Decks are assigned 1 if it is first turned on.

I read that there was a way to have VDJ reassign the deck by hitting eject (ive tried the gui and the eject on my cdjs). But I can't find the process documented. So when the decks are turned on differently, it would be great if there was a faster way to flip the assignment.

I emailed tech and they said to turn on the hardware before opening virtualDJ. So I tried that, and that had no bearing on deck assignment. It was set incorrectly (which to me makes sense) no way auto will ever know if the deck is sitting on the right or left physically of the mixer aside from order of turn on.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 2:16 am
I'm not sure about CDJ-900, but on CDJ-2000NXS2, when you enter PC Control Mode, if you turn the browser scroll knob, you get to select on which deck you want to assign that particular unit (You get a message on screen to select deck 1 through 4)
So, first question, have you tried to turn the browser knob right after you enter PC control mode on your CDJ ?

The other quick way I can think of, is to use a custom button and enter a script that will toggle deck assignment
toggle '$CDJOrder' & param_equal '$CDJOrder' 0 ? deck 1 assign_controller 'CDJ900' 1 & deck 2 assign_controller 'CDJ900' 2 : deck 1 assign_controller 'CDJ900' 2 & deck 2 assign_controller 'CDJ900' 1

PS: If you use CDJ-900 Nexus then you need to type 'CDJ900NEXUS' instead of 'CDJ900' on the code above

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 9:16 am
I have been testing a few different things this week. Starting with Serato just for reference. I power my mixer and decks and then open SeratoDJ Pro. Then on each CDJ I hit the "link" button and get the "push to connect" message, I then push the scroll wheel in (aka enter). Serato will ask Deck 1? (1 being the midi channel) and it allows me to scroll to whatever number. Each Side does this. I pick 1 for the left 2 for the right. I don't get this option in VDJ.

VDJ Test: With the mixer on, I open VDJ and then turn on the left deck 1st and the right deck 2nd. On each CDJ I hit the "link" button and then push the scroll wheel in (aka enter). I get the decks on the correct side. But VJD never asks which deck is 1 or 2. If I do the power up sequence in reverse, decks are reversed.

Also of note for testing, in the CDJ-900 options menu, I have set the left deck to "midi 1" and right deck to "midi 2". If I start VDJ on the opposite sides, the decks still show up on the wrong side.

So that leaves me wondering is VDJ checking for the midi number set by the CDJ? Even better question would be how is VDJ assigning midi values?

Here is an old video from another user that demo's the connection process.
https://youtu.be/EqQkcrG9xtI?t=37

I haven't tried that button code as of yet but thanks for posting.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 12:59 am
Just FYI, VirtualDJ does not use MIDI (at all) with CDJs.
It uses HID instead, so any MIDI related settings don't have any effect at all.
Finally, are you using the original CDJ-900 or CDJ-900Nexus ?

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 6:33 am
Gotcha, just read that Serato DJ Pro also uses HID for these and not midi as I thought.

I am running the original CDJ-900s.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 7:22 pm