Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to set an effect on the master channel and have it stay active?
like the title says. I have a vst effect that is basically an equalizer and i want to have it active on my master channel at all times. Currently if I set it on the master and then turn on any other effect on any other deck it will turn it off on the master. How can i leave it active while still using other effects?

Posted Wed 11 Oct 23 @ 3:36 pm
Master effects don't turn off when you enable deck effects.

How are you starting your master effect ?
Via script ? Via GUI ? Via a controller ?

Posted Wed 11 Oct 23 @ 6:06 pm
via gui, and then it gets turned off when adjusting my deck effects on my controller

Posted Wed 11 Oct 23 @ 9:07 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you are using the DDJ-FLX10, then indeed the Master Effect will change (and de-activate previous) every time you select a different Effect from the FLX10 FX selector.
This is done in default mapping, to ensure that ..
1. No Effect active will be left over if you select a different.
2. The same Effect you choose for any Deck, Master or Sampler, will be available if you select a different Source to apply to

Before offering a Mapping solution, i need to know if ...
a. All you need to have is a specific Effect (which one ?) enabled during your gig and wish to keep it enabled
b. If you use other Effects on Master, or mainly use Deck Effects.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 23 @ 12:34 am
djdad wrote :
If you are using the DDJ-FLX10, then indeed the Master Effect will change (and de-activate previous) every time you select a different Effect from the FLX10 FX selector.
This is done in default mapping, to ensure that ..
1. No Effect active will be left over if you select a different.
2. The same Effect you choose for any Deck, Master or Sampler, will be available if you select a different Source to apply to

Before offering a Mapping solution, i need to know if ...
a. All you need to have is a specific Effect (which one ?) enabled during your gig and wish to keep it enabled
b. If you use other Effects on Master, or mainly use Deck Effects.

Correct i'm using the flx-10 and its working just as you said.
I have a custom effect I downloaded as a VST and I want to have it set on the master and leave it on. I dont set any other effects on the master, but I do like to use effects like echo, reverb, trans on individual decks.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 23 @ 10:31 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Not sure on what djDad would recommend, but I believe easiest would be to put your vst on to the deck master effect slot 2

In your oninit mapping change from this
setting_setsession 'fxProcessing' 'Post-fader' & fake_master on & fake_hp on & fake_hpmix on

to this
setting_setsession 'fxProcessing' 'Post-fader' & fake_master on & fake_hp on & fake_hpmix on & deck master effect_active 2 "YOURVSTNAME" on

I can't imagine you need to see the vst in performing but guess you need to see it in set up, use this on a custom button
deck master effect_show_gui 2

if you pull the vst onto the main deck master effect slot you'll have it switch off like it has, but on slot 2 you should dodge that happening and also dodge having to remap 5 other entries.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 23 @ 10:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, the above solution will work fine, as long as you correctly write deck master and not deck_master in the above script for the ONINIT key of your DDJ-FLX10 Mapping.
The action effect_select_toggle which is used in default mapping, wont deactivate Master FX Slot 2

Posted Thu 12 Oct 23 @ 11:09 pm
*fixed typo

Posted Thu 12 Oct 23 @ 11:11 pm
locodog wrote :

Your solution seems to be working. Thank you very much.

Could you let me know what the oninit mapping is for typically?

Posted Fri 13 Oct 23 @ 9:58 pm
oninit, on initialisation;
script performed when a thing is started to be used, controllers, keyboard mappings, skins have them.
Your controller has a hardware level headphone mixing so, on start up of your device it calls fake_hp on & fake_hpmix on
those sw dial move but don't do anything.

oninit is officially used for that kind of hardware stuff but it can be used lots of ways, like turn an fx on etc etc

Posted Fri 13 Oct 23 @ 10:01 pm