Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can't See Track Names on CDJs
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
Hey Team,

Big fan of what you guys do. I've got an annoying issue I'm trying to resolve. On CDJs, the default display is "Artist - Title," but due to limited characters, it only shows the artist name, making it hard to use the CDJ to choose a track. Check out the attached image for reference.

Makes it especially difficult with songs by the same artist.

Previously, while on the top-level business license, I attempted to resolve this and followed some advice to tweak the mapping settings, to switch 'TEXT_ARTIST' to 'get title' and 'TEXT_TITLE' to 'get artist' and give everything a restart. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem—it had the artist name showing up in odd places instead.

Would really appreciate if you guys have another way to approach this. Keep up the great work!

Posted Sat 02 Sep 23 @ 4:31 pm
Just a quick bump on this one - it'd be super handy to be able to scroll through Tracks by looking at the Track Name rather than the Artist.

Posted Sun 17 Sep 23 @ 10:31 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
We'll add an option in the next update

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 5:08 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
New Early Access Build 7682 ads the ability to adjust the CDJ2000NXS & NXS2 Browser view.

In VirtualDJ Settings->OPTIONS tab, CONTROLLER category, you will find 2 options at the top (when the CDJ is connected) named as ..

browserShowBPM : to show/hide BPM values
browserShowArtist : to show artist - title or only title

PS. Make sure you select the "factory default" Mapping

Posted Thu 21 Sep 23 @ 3:42 pm
BLOODY LEGENDS! Thank you good Sirs! Trying it out tonight!

Posted Fri 22 Sep 23 @ 10:26 am
Hi Team! Tested the new update last night but couldn't use because the default mapping isn't aligned with the typical Pioneer CDJ functionality.

Any chance we could adapt these improvements to custom mappings? It'd make a world of difference on stage!

Posted Sat 23 Sep 23 @ 10:08 am
For any of those struggling to get this to work:
You need to start a new custom mapping for all the CDJs/Controllers you use. Annoying, but totally worth it.

Copy all your custom mapping settings over to a new mapping for each device you use, but make sure you do it if you have said CDJ/Controller plugged in (so you can change the setting that only pops up when you have it plugged in), and it should work fine. Annoying if you need to map it in the club just before or during a set, but yeah worth it.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 3:44 am
DJDAD, this has improved the experience ten fold, but after trying it in the field, I'm wondering if you could perhaps also add the option to make it Title - Artist?

For example, with new songs that we don't know the name of yet (but the Artist is known), it remove the necessity for users having to glance back at the screen.

Posted Sun 29 Oct 23 @ 3:22 am
Could someone possibly have an answer to why I can not see the song names without anything connected. Im just on my PC but cant see the title of the songs from my iTunes library.

Posted Fri 12 Jan 24 @ 2:49 am
Can you elaborate?
"Without anything connected" ?
How do you expect the CDJs to know what they are supposed to display then ?
And from where ?

You need to make yourself more clear on what you're trying to do (and how)

Posted Fri 12 Jan 24 @ 7:31 am
Hi there VDJ team, I've noticed at a few recent gigs I'm getting this issue again, it happened on two different types of Pioneer CDJs.
I am sitting down now to work through it, and I can't seem to find the browserShowArtist or browserShowBPM options any more. Do you know how I can fix this so it comes up with "Song Title" (or even better, Song Title - Artist)?

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 10:43 am
This means that either you used older VirtualDJ build(s) or that you used unsupported CDJ's, like the original (first generation) CDJ-2000

Currently, the models that support the browser options are:
Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus
Pioneer CDJ 2000 NXS2
Pioneer CDJ 3000
Pioneer XDJ-RX3
Pioneer Opus Quad
Alpha Theta Omni Duo

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 5:15 pm
I am up to date. The option isn't in the settings.

It happened with 2000s and Nxs2. Nxs which I use most often at venues is fine no problem.

It's a while since I had to worry about this. Please don't tell me I have to wait to plug it in at the venue for this option to appear and redo all the mapping there at the gig... 😬

Posted Wed 24 Jul 24 @ 12:32 am
The option is present, only when the gear is connected, that's true.
But you don't need to do any remapping if you use the factory default mapper.

Finally, no, we haven't changed anything regarding this option lately and it should work fine. It works fine here.

PS: If you use different (custom) mappings for your CDJs perhaps there's a chance one/some of them don't have the necessary mapping to support the option ?
E.G, this is the code for CDJ-2000NXS2:
<map value="DATA_BROWSER" action="controllervar '#dontbrowse' ? nothing : get_pioneer_display 'browser' 2002 `setting browserShowBPM ? (setting browserShowArtist ? constant 1 : constant 3) : (setting browserShowArtist ? constant 0 : constant 2)`" />

Posted Wed 24 Jul 24 @ 6:43 am