Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Looking for advice on building a new rig with Stems 2.0 and Matrox TripleHead2Go in mind...
Hi all.
I am thinking of building a new rig exclusively for DJ-ing.
I understand that for Stems 2.0 the ideal graphics cards are the NVIDIA GeForce RTX series with lots of CUDA cores (I was thinking Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 Master).
I use the Matrox TH2G Digital Edition to split the video output into 3 different screens. It has DVI-D input and outputs.
My problem: the new cards that are suitable for Stems 2.0 do not have DVI ports anymore.
So I was wondering if it would be possible to have two different graphic cards, one for Stems math calculations and the other for the Matrox module? In other words: can I tell VDJ to use one card for the Stems and another card for the video output?

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 8:09 am
Note: plug adapters (DVI to DP for example) will interfere with the functionality of the Matrox and are not an option (own experience and confirmed by Matrox support)

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 8:12 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, stems will run on the RTX when available regardless which card is used for video output

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 8:54 am
Thanks, Adion. I think you've cleared up my doubt. From your answer i understand that it is indeed possible for VDJ to work with two seperate videocards, using one for the video output and the other for the program itself.
Great!

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 8:58 am
Indeed. I'd still try if hdmi to dvi doesn't work either though, or if it doesn't make more sense to replace the splitter with a model that supports hdmi/dp inputs

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 10:06 am
I actually have these adapters (DVI to HDMI) but they only allow output to 2 of the 3 screens. I considered a newer Matrox module, but since the only one with HDMI in and out (which is what my PC and projectors use) is around 1500 euros (QH2G), combined with the fact that my rig doesn't do all that well with Stems 2.0, I thought I might update my (now rather outdated) hardware instead... Thanks for the suggestion, nonetheless.

Note: my current rig does not have space for two graphic cards...

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 12:28 pm
Wow, that seems needlessly expensive, given that there's 25 euro hdmi splitters on amazon...

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 12:33 pm
These have not the same functionality. The Matrox DualHead2Go, TripleHead2Go and the new QuadHead2Go modules take the video out signal and divide that into resp. 2, 3 and 4 seperate ports. I play music videos that have a resolution of 3072x768. The left part goes to the left screen and contains text in English. The center part goes to the center projector and has no text over the video. The right part goes to the right projector and has Spanish texts. I have three screens.

I do retro shows (rock 'n roll, disco-soul-funk, and mixed music in the form of an overview of the history of modern popular music from the 1920s up until the millennium) where texts give info about the artists, anecdotes of their life, how they came to make the song, and other interesting details. This way, people can choose how to enjoy my gigs: they can enjoy the music, see their favorite artists from way back when again, read about them and the song that is playing, or they can just dance. Something for everyone.

Since I live and work on the Canary Islands, and mainly work in hotels with ever-changing audiences, I have Spanish text for the locals and visiting mainland Spain tourists on one screen, and English for all other tourists on another. That's why the complicated rig setup...

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 12:51 pm
Ah, that's indeed a bit different, and certainly sounds interesting.

Although I don't have any experience with this, I think many of the RTX cards actually allow for 4 independent video outputs directly, so it could be done in software too.
(I'm not sure if windows can combine 3 of them into a single virtual screen though so that it's easy to select in vdj, otherwise you'd have to align 3 of them and then manually move the vdj video window such that it covers the 3 outputs)

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 1:01 pm
A software solution (back when I mounted my current rig) was not viable due to it being a resource hog - maybe nowadays with the new cpus and boards it would be different. Good hint, Adion! I think I'll look into that aswell!

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:08 pm
4 Full HD outputs is the same number of pixels as a single 4k output, so should definitely be possible with current hardware.
Anyway, if you're building a new rig at least worth a try, and you can still have the old video card as well if it's not yet working as expected.

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:38 pm