Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The latest turn in the Serato Acquisition: Potential Opposition
The Post's summary of InMusic's position on the matter

digitaldjtips small analysis

Thoughts?

My only thought (besides agreement): I'm a little concerned from this realization:

The summary of InMusic's position seems to not talk about/dismiss partnership with other software, almost as if not being viable.
I guess it makes sense given user bases and the fact that they have invested longstanding effort into working with Serato (third party) and realizing the ground can be removed easily due to business deals.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 23 @ 6:29 pm
In-Music have made many acquisitions. Bit of the pot calling the kettle black for me.

That'll be more money spent by In-Music on lawyers fees rather than development. Yawn.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 23 @ 6:40 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
In-Music have made many acquisitions. Bit of the pot calling the kettle black for me.

I agree that they have made many acquisitions, but it's the type of acquistion here that's important. This is one professional market leader (Pioneer by way of AlphaTheta) acquiring (arguable) the other (Serato) directly, and from that point on, it is (arguably) impossible for any other partners to have secret sauce in their gear without their direct competitor knowing + doing better/at least equalling than what they propose. If InMusic had bought Serato I would said the same (I wonder if they did attempt it previously).

Posted Thu 24 Aug 23 @ 6:46 pm
They have choices they can partner with the other dj software companies to work with their controllers They can try and buy traktor atomix or djay or they can create their own software.... Its karma coming back to bite them

Posted Thu 24 Aug 23 @ 11:43 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
They have choices they can partner with the other dj software companies to work with their controllers They can try and buy traktor atomix or djay or they can create their own software.... Its karma coming back to bite them

Without over elaborating/speculating...I think InMusic played within the markets (standalone + software driven) as they saw best. Although's true they could have broadened their support to other software, who knows what the resulting contract from their existing partnership with Serato could have restricted (they already were putting logos on Serato focused gear, and we saw Pioneer originally doing the same).

All of the suggestions are huge shifts with potentially huge uncertainty/large risk in those markets given the current state of things...the response (and being scared) is more than natural.

Posted Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 2:06 am
Things move in waves. When Denon Prime came out loads of people deserted traditional DJ software and their unreliable laptops to go to Engine, which itself was unreliable and severely lacking in features. Stems (especially 2.0) has drawn them back again.

They're about to start a beta of stems on the Prime 4 but I really can't see how they are going to achieve anything even close to VDJ stems with the processing power on the units.

Would be interesting to see how many people bought these expensive Denon controllers to use standalone but are actually using them primarily with VDJ. I bet it's a lot more than in-music realise.

I know four people with them. 3 are using VDJ rather than Engine and the 4th one is selling his due to constant issues and going back to his MC7000 with VDJ.

Posted Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 6:04 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Would be interesting to see how many people bought these expensive Denon controllers to use standalone but are actually using them primarily with VDJ. I bet it's a lot more than in-music realise.

Since sendAnonymousStats is enabled by default in VDJ, I think maybe Atomix could tell them :)

.. I'm not sure if VDJ controller stats are considered a secret, or maybe Atomix would share it with the public?

Posted Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 6:23 am
klausmogensen wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :

Since sendAnonymousStats is enabled by default in VDJ, I think maybe Atomix could tell them :)

.. I'm not sure if VDJ controller stats are considered a secret, or maybe Atomix would share it with the public?

The (somewhat sad) thing is, even if it is very compelling, I don't know if InMusic cares that much. Serato and Pioneer have almost become what a lot of DJs believe is essential to modern DJ culture, and a lot of people have invested time and effort into the (closed) ecosystems they provide. Collection/database transfer tools do offer a way out of this, but that is yet another tool to learn how to use, and has quirks.

I really think that if the DJ hardware/software landscape was governed by completely open standards, this might have been less of a problem.

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:04 pm
Agreed. In this era closed proprietary tools of any type, scientific, computational, medical or simply musical...fail eventually. Open with a non exploitative costing strategy wins over everything.

DJ VinylTouch wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :

The (somewhat sad) thing is, even if it is very compelling, I don't know if InMusic cares that much. Serato and Pioneer have almost become what a lot of DJs believe is essential to modern DJ culture, and a lot of people have invested time and effort into the (closed) ecosystems they provide. Collection/database transfer tools do offer a way out of this, but that is yet another tool to learn how to use, and has quirks.

I really think that if the DJ hardware/software landscape was governed by completely open standards, this might have been less of a problem.

Posted Mon 30 Oct 23 @ 12:30 pm